General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

one way info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 20 Jan 2004 20:10

is it me or do other people find that on this site cetain people ask for information about your side of the family but are not to quick to share information. I have set up my family tree name of bulled but all i seem to be doing is supplying information'

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jan 2004 09:12

Ian, Same here. I don't mind giving anybody information about my tree. What does disapoint me though are the number of people who dont either bother to thank you for it. I don't expect their undying grattitude but a simple email to say thanks, or no good or not from your family would be nice. The same applies to when i have contacted other people. Nobody seems to answer your queries, not even to say that they have no information to give you. I know that there have been a lot of threads on these boards about GC not forwarding your emails to you, but even so these emails would still be on your contacts list, so that isnt the problem. Still, there's nothing you can do about it, so you just have to grin and bear it. Jane

Janet

Janet Report 21 Jan 2004 10:48

I always try to reply asap to anyone who contacts me, even if only to say, 'sorry - I don't think there's a family connection'. If I think there is a family connection, I give a couple of names and dates as examples and take it from there. I do this, because I know what it's like if you think you have made a connection. You can't wait for a reply, and keep checking your emails. It is very frustrating when you hear nothing, isn't it? It's only common courtesy to respond ........ well that's what I think, anyway. I have been very lucky with most people I have contacted. The majority of them have replied straight away. Unfortunately, not everyone's the same so, as Jane said, we just have to grin and bear it!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Jan 2004 23:37

Hi Ian I think where the problem lies is that you don't have to be a member to submit your family tree. Obviously from GC's point of view this is the best way as they will 'collect' more names. But from our point of view it can be a nuisance as some people will visit the site only a couple of times, enter a few names and then never bother again. Also, as the site is now over a year old some memebers will not have renewed their subscription so they will not be able to reply to emails sent through the site. All rather annoying I know but I am grinning and bearing it! Jeanette

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 22 Jan 2004 06:51

I too will give a reply, even if negative, to any query. I have had so much help it is unbelievable Any query deserves an answer, so if there is anyone reading this that does not reply, get with it, excercise a little common courtesy. It takes but a moment to say thank you, whether it is by direct email, or publicly on GC. Badger Bill

Ian

Ian Report 24 Jan 2004 13:38

to all people who answered my message a great big thank you its just a pity i do not share your family name. I suppose i will just have to grin and bear it best wishes Ian