General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silly Sussex Anyone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 21 Jan 2004 21:23

West or East? - i'm West but all paternal ancestors are from the East of the County - can't beleive Dad allowed me to be born a 'furriner'. Sue

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 21 Jan 2004 22:55

Hi Sue Well, there is me of course. West Sussex [16 yrs], previously East Sussex, actually born in Kent, so whilst most of my rellies are East Sussex, I can't lay claim to being born and bred here. Never mind eh. Are you coastal or country? Badger Bill

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 21 Jan 2004 23:06

Hi Sue I'm not a native but spent much of my childhood in Southwick, about 4 miles West of Brighton, at my grandparent's home. Sadly, its all gone now, bulldozed and under a block of flats.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 21 Jan 2004 23:33

The 'East Sussex' sign is a mile away across the border from me - does that count?

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jan 2004 02:02

I was born in Bucks, but my dad's family were all Sussex people, Brighton and Hove, since the 1800s, and we moved back when I was 5, and I was brought up and educated in Hove, and called it home till I married in !955. Still have lots of family in Hove, through to Shoreham. Lovely place to grow up. Di.

Pam

Pam Report 22 Jan 2004 08:16

I was born in Brighton and moved to Crawley at the age of two. Lived in Crawley for 46 years before moving to Nottingham in 2000. There is some lovely countryside around the Midlands but can't compare to Sussex. Most of my Sussex ancestors came from Warbleton, Dallington, West Firle and surrounding areas and also Brighton. I should have started this hobby 4 years ago when there wasn't 180 miles between me and local records!.......................Pam

Pam

Pam Report 22 Jan 2004 08:20

I was born in Brighton and moved to Crawley at the age of two. Lived in Crawley for 46 years before moving to Nottingham in 2000. There is some lovely countryside around the Midlands but can't compare to Sussex. Most of my Sussex ancestors came from Warbleton, Dallington, West Firle and surrounding areas and also Brighton. I should have started this hobby 4 years ago when there wasn't 180 miles between me and local records!.......................Pam

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 22 Jan 2004 10:15

Badger Bill - does that mean your a 'Kentish man' and not 'A man from Kent'? Lol. I'm a bit of both realy Bill - born at Shoreham by Sea but family lived inland. Just North of Worthing (the metropolis of the South) Apart from living for a year in London where I met Hubby - i've hardly been out of the County. On the whole Sussex folk don't feel easy living in 'furrin' parts and I confess if I go away I can't wait to get back to the Downland and it's views. It's sad to see more and more of the County disappearing under bricks and concrete, still that's the price of 'progress'. Sue.

jmoonlabelle1@gmail.com

[email protected] Report 23 Jan 2004 19:27

I wish i was in Hastings! or St. Leonard's !to dig up the past Jennifer in Ontario, Canada

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 23 Jan 2004 20:48

Hi Sue, Never to sure whether I'm a Kentish Man or a Man of Kent. It all depends on where you are in relation to the Medway, and I can never remember. Anyway, I was only 2 when we left, heading for Sussex, and apart from a short stint in Lincoln, which I can't remember, I've been here ever since [as my home county that is - was overseas with the forces, but always glad to get back whenever I could].

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 23 Jan 2004 20:49

Hi Max, That's not a bad idea. I'll get back on that one, will have to check of grandchildren minding duties first, but if free, sounds good. Badger Bill

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 23 Jan 2004 20:51

Hi Helen in Kent, Suggest you nip out one dark night, and move sign to 100 yds the other side. Badger Bill

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 23 Jan 2004 20:53

Hi Jennifer. If there is anyway I can help, please email me direct, and I'll try my best. Hastings/St. Leonards about 40 miles east, but I have to go the the County Records office in Lewes soon, as I am now back past 1837 for GRO indexes. Badger Bill

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 24 Jan 2004 15:40

Nudge

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 24 Jan 2004 16:42

Most of my grandfather and his family were born in Sedlescombe Sussex. I'd like to know if it's East or West Sussex pls. Oh and what about Beckley, Northiam and Westfield? Thank you Debi

Pam

Pam Report 24 Jan 2004 18:13

Hi Max, I wanted to go to the fair but I live in Nottingham now and the train fare is £42.00, petrol about £50 so makes it too expensive. Most of my research is on Sussex people, would there be more relevent things available at a Sussex fair than a fair here in the midlands? Also, do you know if census discs are on sale and are they any cheaper than from S&N? Most of my family live in Crawley so I could get them to buy and send me stuff. Pam

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 24 Jan 2004 18:43

Oh Max thanks for that web site very interesing : )

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Jan 2004 18:46

Like Sue, I was born in Shoreham, the family lived in Worthing, but when I was 8 weeks old we moved to Wales so I know nothing of Sussex. However, my daughter (Essex born - she's never forgiven me!) is now at Brighton Uni, so when the weathers a bit nicer I shall go down there.

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 25 Jan 2004 15:00

Hi Pam Yes there are Sussex fairs. Not heard of when the next one is, but a lot of the stuff at any fair is usually based up the area it covers. Not sure about the census discs, but if you have a query on 1881 census, can do look ups for you - have full copy for entire country [in fact I think the 1881 was sold as an entire nation copy] Badger

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 25 Jan 2004 22:32

Lovely to read all the replies - Now here's a question, Badger might know the answer to.. Just WHEN was the County divided into East and West?? My brother says the 50's but I think it was much later - anyone know? Sue.