General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Humbers In Loughborough?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 25 Jan 2004 23:36

I live in New Zealand. I have just found out that my Gt Grandmother, Ellen Humber, was born in Loughborough. She was married and lived in Harthill, Yorkshire. I'm very interested in People and Places not just their date of birth and marriage etc. What is Loughborough like today?

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 26 Jan 2004 18:03

i live near and work in loughborough its a town with a college and uni so has lots of young people some think thats good and some don't.... there's a museum and several parks plus a fair amount of shops its quite a big place probably best if you email me directly i can take pictures if you want and email them to you lou

Jane

Jane Report 26 Jan 2004 18:22

Ann i live in Loughborough, and am planning a visit to the family history room at the library on Thursday, so if there's anything you would like looking up, let me know soon. Jane

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 26 Jan 2004 18:45

Greeting's Ann. . . . . Had a quick look on 1891 cenus returns for Loughborough. Is this your Family ?:- William Humber Head 37. Mary A. Wife 39. Stephen. Son 16. Harry H. Son 13. Ellen. Dau 11. William. Son 8. Ethel L. Dau 5. Harriet J. Dau 2. There is another three Humber families in Loughborough but not with a Ellen. MIKE.

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 26 Jan 2004 19:08

jane did you know that its probably going to close that section of the libruary

Jane

Jane Report 26 Jan 2004 19:12

Louise, yes i had heard that, I don't normally use that library as none of my rellies are from Loughborough, but it is handy to do look ups for others. Think they might be better to move it instead of closing it down completely, but don't think they will !!!!! Jane

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 26 Jan 2004 20:00

jane think they might move it to wigston but thats a long way from loughborough we went in to see if there were any pictures or info about our house or others around it couldn't find anything and thet weren't very helpful but did look at the census returns to see who lived in it and for how long...very nosey lol lou

Ann

Ann Report 26 Jan 2004 21:33

Wow - thanks everyone. I appreciate your help. I'm not really far enough ahead to ask anyone to do any research. I am waiting on Ellen's marriage certificate to George Smith. I got her birthplace from the 1901 census. She was born in 1854 and married in 1886 in (I think) Nottingham. So I know a little bit. When I was in Britain 12 years ago I looked around the family villages but didn't know about Ellen originating in Loughborough. It's interesting to know that she might have been a 'city' girl!! Thanks once again to you all.

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 26 Jan 2004 21:52

Ann.... Where abouts in NZ ? I've a elder brother in the south Island in a little village outside Christchurch ? MIKE.

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 26 Jan 2004 23:18

Ann. . . . . . I found Ellen's Christening on the IGI 11th. June 1854. Father Amos. Mother Mary. Found a birth for Ellen on 1837 Site. Apr Qrt. 1854.Cert No.7a 127. Loughborough. Also Found Amos on the 1851 census for Loughborough he was 20 yrs old but not married. So That makes him born around 1830. so couldn't look that up on 1837 Site So It's down to searching parish Records now ...sorry. MIKE.

Ann

Ann Report 26 Jan 2004 23:37

Thanks Mike. I'm amazed! I had some dates written down from my Dad's family bible. Ellen was born May 30 1854 so the Christening ties in with that. You have made my day. I live near Hokitika on the West Coast of the South Island. I'm familiar with Canterbury - where your brother is - I was born in Christchurch. It's about 3 hours drive across the Southern Alps - a wonderful scenic adventure. If you haven't already - go and visit your brother!

Jane

Jane Report 27 Jan 2004 18:40

Louise, i use the record office at Wigston now, so it might make it easier if all the records are under 1 roof, but it's not ideal for everybody. I know what you mean though about them being unhelpful, i've stopped asking anything !!!!! Jane

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 27 Jan 2004 18:41

ann would you like me to take some photo's of loughborough and email them to you ? lou

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 27 Jan 2004 21:56

Ann. . . . Sorry for the delay in geting back to you. . . . The name of the Village or Town my elder brother is in is ... PAPANUI Christchurch 5. He does alot of renovations on " Cob Houses " Are you offering to pay my passage out and back then ? ....lol :o)))) MIKE.

Ann

Ann Report 28 Jan 2004 21:39

Louise, How generous of your to offer to e-mail photos. That would be lovely. I hope to get there one day myself - but not for a year or two yet. I'm hoping eventually to get to the bottom of where the Humber's lived. It looks as if they moved to Worksop at some stage. I have found another Amos Humber in Loughborough on the 1881 Census that was still unmarried. So the tangle continues. I probably won't ever get back to Britain - if I have to cough up for Mike's fare to New Zealand to visit his brother! lol Mike - Papanui is a suburb of Christchurch just 5 or 10 minutes from the inner city - depending on the traffic. It's a lovely place to live. I lived in the next suburb when I was growing up. Isn't it a small world? Ann

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 29 Jan 2004 18:11

ann i would love to email you photo's however you will have to send me your email address as i am not a full member if you have paid for membership then you only need to click on my name and you can email me via GC however if you don't want to do this i will put my email address on here for you ,just let me know mike can vouch for me lou

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 1 Mar 2004 19:49

ann hope you got the photo's ok lou