General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1/2 relations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 27 Jan 2004 19:59

How many do you have? I have 3 1/2 brothers - met one, spoken to one on the phone, writing to the other. I have 1 1/2 sister - cant find her! I have a 1 1/2 uncle. Tell me about yours

Gem in Wakefield

Gem in Wakefield Report 27 Jan 2004 20:05

I have a 1/2 sister I have never even met. I never even knew about her till I started doing my family tree, about a year ago. I was going through my mum's box of certificates and stumbled upon her birth certificate and adoption order. I'm still trying to trace her. I hope that I find her one day. Gem

Lindy

Lindy Report 27 Jan 2004 21:06

Just this evening I have found out that I have 1/2 a great Aunt. My grandmothers half sister.Would that be correct? I am still trying to track down the other half. Lindy :-)

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 27 Jan 2004 22:12

Sorry to muscle in but do you not find it exceedingly annoying that these machines won't allow you to write HALF as one over 2 and you have to do it like this 1/2... Sorry it's one of my pet hates with these FOREIGN keyboards Moan over.. Sue :0(

N

N Report 28 Jan 2004 09:40

½ - do you mean like this ? I saw someone else use it on another site - so just cut and pasted it.

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 28 Jan 2004 10:03

Nina - YES that's exactly what I mean, when I get clever, rofl, I might be able to do that too. Sue

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 28 Jan 2004 11:12

Hi Try this little trick. Hold down the Alt key (Bottom left of key board) and then type 0189. Hopefully ½ appears Liz

N

N Report 28 Jan 2004 11:33

Thanks for that Liz - I have now found a website with these codes on - http://www.asciitable(. )com/ (html codes section) hijacking this thread to play a, with grave accent à a, circumflex â c, cedilla ç and now I know the names of some of those special characters.

Lindy

Lindy Report 28 Jan 2004 12:04

Hi Liz, I tried that but it did not work. Lindy :-(

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 28 Jan 2004 12:13

My sister is my half sister, but we grew up in same household, my grandad had 5 half siblings and his mother had 3. Have just found some more on my dad's line - so much more common then, one parent families just didn't survive, so you had to remarry asap. Maz. XX

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 28 Jan 2004 14:21

Hi Lindy Silly question - did you keep the alt key presed down whilst typing in the numbers? Also - if you go into new word document, and look along the top go into insert and then symbol, a box comes up with a lot of characters/symbols. If you hilite any - if there is a short cut for it it will be on bottom right of symbol box. Nina - thanks for web addy. Liz

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jan 2004 14:33

I have 4 half sisters and 3 half brothers (same mother) and we all grew up in the same house together with my 2 other full sisters. I also have another 2 half sisters and 1 half brother (same father) who we ocasionally saw when we were growing up and are now very close with. And i have a half sister who none of us have ever met because she was adopted out when she was a baby in 1941. Only found out about her through doing family history. We are now trying to find her. Its also rumored that we have another 2 half sisters who were born in Austria after WW2 (my fathers). Can anybody beat that? Would anybody want to? Jane

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 28 Jan 2004 18:19

Oh Dear what have I started - sorry Fi - By the way forgot to say I have two half brothers one half sister. I'm off to play the half game - make a bet i'll never work out how to do it. :0( Sue.

Mike

Mike Report 30 Jan 2004 00:48

Not exactly on point, BUT my paternal grandmother and grandfather were stepsister and stepbrother.

Michelle

Michelle Report 30 Jan 2004 15:59

i ave 3 1/ brothers and 2 1/2 siters. i dont know where any of them are all i know is there names mark paul roseann caroline simon