General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I can't keep up !!! - Anyone else in the same boat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

T J

T J Report 9 Feb 2004 21:41

Good grief - I wish they would make their minds up how my g/grandmothers surname was spelt - In the 1901 census it was Eaton - her birth registry is Heaton - Her death certificate says Heaton - my grandmothers birth entry records it was eaton - In the marriage records it was eaton - Ever felt you are being lead down the garden path - I do - Any clues to when the census's were also released for later years please?

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 9 Feb 2004 22:11

Hi Tracy If by later years you mean after 1901, then sorry, 1901 was the last to be released. The next is due for release in 2011, which of course will be the 1911. Just wish they would release censuses every 30 years, the same as cabinet records. Prior to 1901, I believe the original census [English that is] was 1801, and then every 10 years after. From what little I know, 1801, 1811, 1821, 1831, were not kept. The first available date is 1841, and then every 10 years there after. However, I believe there are only indices to 1841, 51, 61, 71. 1881 is available on CD, mastered by the Mormons. Not sure about 1891. The 1881 is not expensive. Covers the whole of England and Wales. No doubt someone else will add to this thread and let you know where you can get lookups. Regards Badger Bill

Here

Here Report 9 Feb 2004 23:06

Tracy, Badger Bill There is an article in Feb 2004 Family History Monthly that says "As part of the 'Big Conversation' being conducted by the Labour Party, the idea is being floated of reducing the 30 year closure period for government documents. This could be extended to material such as census records, which are at present closed for 100 years. To have your say visit www(.)bigconversation(.)org(.uk) or phone 08705 900200" Perhaps we all should bombard them with e-mails saying Do It! Please! Juliexx

N

N Report 10 Feb 2004 09:10

I have a similar problem with maiden name of a great great grandmother. Her marriage certificate says BRIGHTON one of her childrens birth cert is says BRIGHTING Another child's certificate says it is BRIGHTWEN. The only possible census entry that I have with maiden name has her as BRITING (aged 15 servant). If fact she has been my most elusive ancestor. Missing in 1881, transcribed as male on 1891 and mistranscribed on 1901. Tracy I'm confused - is your gt grandmothers maiden name on her death certificate ?

T J

T J Report 10 Feb 2004 22:18

It's nice to know that there are others who are "being lead down the garden path" and not only me. I like your idea Julia maybe we should bombard the website available with "do it please" - it's hard enough and expensive enough doing the family trees anyway. In modern records the childs mothers maiden name is recorded - but its when you start going back in time that they are not - I have a connection to the name belk which i believe has a french/german or dutch origin but now due to my grandmothers death I can't find out as she was the only living relative to know. Nina Yes the name on her death certificate is heaton which is how i managed to find her birth entry in the GRO records and in the 1901 census it was spelt totally different - its so frustrating - Life is NEVER simple is it? Karen do you have the name Belk anywhere in your tree - who knows we could be related I know it is a popular name around sheffield but it is finding that missing link and Ellen Eaton who is the head of the household is registered as having no hubby (maybe he died in the war - i don't know) but her birth entry again in 1867 Jan - mar quarter has no mothers maiden name. And last but no means least Badger Bill - Thankyou for you info on the census records My g.g grandmother was born way before 1901 so I can't even find an entry for her as a child as the only one coming up is the records I've found Thankyou all - any more info on going back further would be brill - For some bizarre reason after i've loaded Freebmd my computer won't open the file so I'm stumped there too !!!!!

T J

T J Report 10 Feb 2004 22:53

Whilst looking at this site Badger Bill - Why Badger? - do you badger folks? Just curious!

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Feb 2004 00:13

Tracey Take a look at my 'who do you look like' thread on the Guest board. Bill explains it all there. Jeanette

T J

T J Report 12 Feb 2004 19:17

thanks Jeanette I will