General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Virus alert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 27 Feb 2004 07:18

Just had virus warning from Norton. Watch out for NETSKY, rated category three [1 -5 scale], mass mailing worm, but subject and attachment can be variable, so be extra vigilant. Will raid your contacts/address book and mail itself to all of your contacts. Badger Bill

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 27 Feb 2004 09:03

Hi Bill I had this virus coming thru abuot 4-5 times the other day and again yesterday, but Norton intercepted. Persistent isn't it?? Regards Ann

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 27 Feb 2004 09:09

hi bill i had this at the week end.it sent mail to one of my contacts. i also recieved an e mail from another contact,which i know they never sent, but good old norton intercepted it!! its really persistent.ive now bought a spamkiller by mcaffee!!! susie

Janet

Janet Report 27 Feb 2004 14:00

I had this warning too, this morning, and this is a variation on the one we were warned about last week.

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 29 Feb 2004 02:19

Dear Susie I hope you have better luck than I did with McAfee. I was getting 6 viruses a day and constantly had to keep checking the disc. I uninstalled it today and went back to my freebise - Mailwasher and AVG by Grisoft. I feel very safe with these two as I had no viruses in 2 years with them.

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 1 Mar 2004 20:35

Hi Susie, Don't rely solely on a spam killer - it won't catch the viruses. You need an anti-virus & firewall, Norton is very good, McAfee publish a good one to - both at cost. AVG has a good reputation, and it is free, but one hell of a download if you are still on a dial up connection. Hello Jeanette, Are you and yours keeping well. Regards to you all Badger Bill /

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 15 Mar 2004 09:02

Hi All, Just be on the lookout for Virus W32.Netsky.B@mm. I received it three times in the last 5 minutes. It was sent from < mistimi at sbcglobal.net > Subject: Fake

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 15 Mar 2004 10:13

Hello Bill Sorry for sounding daft, but does Norton give its virus warnings through e mail or does a box come up ? & does it only issue a warning if you are sent a virus ? Iv'e only been on Norton internet security a week & am a bit confused ! I am also on "Live update"? & auto protect ? Elaine x

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 15 Mar 2004 10:20

Elaine, Norton has a box that tells you that it has found a virus, and has quarantined it. If you have Norton System Works, then you do a one Button check when you start up, it will list all the recent events, and any errors you may have.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 15 Mar 2004 10:24

Thank you Bill :-)) Elaine x

Bob

Bob Report 15 Mar 2004 15:35

Elaine Norton will send you e-mails (if you opt in to it) about ALL new significant viruses and worms. Otherwise you just get told when you are attacked. Bob

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Mar 2004 16:08

Norton is stopping loads on mine at the moment. Beagle and Netsky sometimes 5 or more a day!!!