General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On 1891 census... what does this mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 4 Mar 2004 15:41

I have an entry for my Grandfather and his parents. Both are listed as being Horsekeeper L.G.O.Co. I know my G.Grandfather was at one time in the army and then later the Police. Is this some sort of Governement job or just initials of a company. Ideas please?? Jacky :-)

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 4 Mar 2004 17:39

Could it be Local Government Officer ? Maz. XX

Crista

Crista Report 4 Mar 2004 21:00

Local Government Ombudsman? Might have kept the horses for the buses. Crista

Mike

Mike Report 4 Mar 2004 22:21

How about London General Omnibus?

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 4 Mar 2004 22:58

Thank you for your replies. An omnibus Company does sound a possibility. Jacky :-)

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 20 Mar 2004 03:15

Jacky You could try this site www(.)ltmuseum(.)co(.)uk. This has quite a lot of information, there is a telephone number and contact address. My g.father was an Omnibus Driver for most of his working life, they were all horse-drawn until the early 1900's. Kathleen