General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Norton antivirus help !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 7 Mar 2004 14:42

I have installed norton internet security 2004, but each time i start my comp up, I am prompted to go online, even if i click the connect box off, it comes back again ! Also my system seems to be running slower, im on windows 98. Many thanks... Elaine x

Alan

Alan Report 7 Mar 2004 16:44

Suggest you log on to the Norton help and support page at symantec

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 7 Mar 2004 16:46

Thank you Alan Elaine x

Jan

Jan Report 7 Mar 2004 18:20

Hi Elaine Im sure I have had this too. I suggest uninstalling it and redoing it Im sure something froze halfway through. Good luck jan x

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 8 Mar 2004 06:40

Hi Elaine, First two replies both sound - there seems to be a hiccup in NIS 2004. Re computer running slow, yes it will with any anti-virus/firewall loaded - the software is doing it's job as you start up, checking all is well. Regards Badger Bill

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 8 Mar 2004 09:19

Thank you Janet, Bill ......... you have made me stop worrying, now I know its normal to be a bit slower ( the comp not me ! ). I was, just worried that my comp had Bu**"*d up because It's s**s law that anything I do goes wrong ! Thanks again to all, Elaine :-)

badger

badger Report 13 Mar 2004 22:42

yeh Bill .that sounds about right, in my case i tried to load onto a badly fragmented hard drive and it landed up with a couple of corrupt files.Once defragged and reloaded ,it was fine and is doing sterling work ,including isolating a worm some kind person tried to send me .n.a.v is worth every penny.Denis from Newcastle.

Jason

Jason Report 15 Mar 2004 02:32

I installed it a few months ago. Now my laptop runs incredibly slow! When I launch Excel, I've time to run a bath the time it takes to start. I'm not saying that you don't need anti-virus/firewall software by any means, but I'd ran the laptop unprotected for over 3 years without problems. Indeed, when you install Norton, it does a sweep of the laptop and it didn't find any suspect files/viruses etc. I was peversely disapointed!!!! My other gripe with Norton is that I can't get the automatic updates download to work. That is a bit frustrating. I have to go to the site and manually download the updates. Jason.