General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

no response

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 11 Mar 2004 15:07

I have just a small pet peeve... Why is it that when one contacts a member who has the same research as yourself, the other person doesn't repond to you messege, I find this very frustrating knowing that someone out there is part of the same family, but doesn't want to swap info.. ISN'T THAT THE POINT OF THIS SITE????? We are all a little possesive of our research, and am sure we have all been bitten where someone takes more than they give, but why submit info if they do not want to be contacted... To all those that do respond and have been more than generous with there research, THANKYOU!!

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 11 Mar 2004 15:22

What I like even less is when someone contacts you - you find you are related, even if it's only 'umpteen' cousins, you give them loads of info and hey presto! they vanish without so much as a thankyou!!!!!!!!! Angry in Sussex

Richard

Richard Report 11 Mar 2004 15:38

Jo, I agree whole heartedly with your sentiments. I have tried to contact one particular person where it is obvious there are family links but to no avail. Its pointless them being on the web site!! Richard

Joanne

Joanne Report 11 Mar 2004 15:48

I am glad i am not the only one who is frustrated...

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Mar 2004 16:01

I have had people start a tree, JUST to get onto the site..and when questioned the reply is something like" ive only got a couple on, so there's no point in giving access.." like you I dont know what they are doing here...

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 11 Mar 2004 16:05

Hi Joanne I have had the same problem ongoing with a certain person who definatly has my husbands grandmothers family in his tree. After sending upteen messages regarding this there has been no reply. I managed to contact a relitive of my contactee, who replied, but could not establish the connection since "our" names have recently been added to my contactee's tree. he only had seen his rellies un updated tree. I have not heard from the mans relitive since, but am still fed up & frustrated about the innability of certain contactees just not even being polite enough to say "no connection". Elaine x

N

N Report 11 Mar 2004 16:07

I agree - but in some cases it may that they have not seen your attempt to contact them. I checked my contacts today to find a message there that I had not received via email - yet received others ok. But GC have yet to admit that this happens.

Joanne

Joanne Report 11 Mar 2004 16:36

Thanks Nina That is interesting to know.... has anyone else had the same problem

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Mar 2004 23:11

I FEEL BETTER AFTER READING THIS i WAS JUST FEELING REALLY LET DOWN AFTER CONTACTING A DEFINATE RELLIE SENT LOTS OF DETAILS WAITED WAITED NOTHING i ALWAYS TRY TO REPLY EVEN IF ITS NO MATCH AND HAVE ENDED UP WITH SOME GREAT CONTACTS SO TAKE HEART THERE ARE LOTS OF LOVELY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE jUST WISH-----OH WELL.WONT LET IT PUT ME OFF EXCUSE CAPITALS ONLY REALISED CAPS WERE ON AFTER HALFWAY THROUGH i DONT MEAN TO SHOUT LOVE SANDRA

N

N Report 12 Mar 2004 08:51

Yet another message in my contacts box today but no email ! I had a reply from GC who said to forward them the email and they would investigate. I can't - I didn't receive an email! Anyway - I copied to the messages from my contacts box to them so I hope that gives them enough to investigate. So keep checking your contacts.

N

N Report 12 Mar 2004 14:42

Aargh - I want to scream ! This is the reply I got from GC *********************************************** Thanks for your email. Please be assured that any email that you write will be sent to the email address that the recipient has registered with GenesConnected. If you have the junk mail filter in your email account set to high it will be automatically deleting any unrecognised emails including any confirmations of your sent emails, new contacts or newsletters from GenesConnected. If you would like to correct this, you can amend the junk mail filter to a medium level and test if this has resolved the issue by sending yourself a contact email through the site. *************************************************** This is despite me already telling them that I have no spam filters and that I am receiving some emails+contacts. When will they accept this is a REAL problem.

N

N Report 16 Mar 2004 09:05

Update from GC .... Thanks for your email. I am sorry to hear that you have had trouble receiving emails. I have spoken to our technical team and one possible explanation is that the emails were sent at a time when our mail server was down, and as a result you did not receive the email in your inbox. One of our future plans for the site is to have all emails sent and received via the site. This would mean that members would no longer have any problems with emails sent astray. We will announce further details about this feature nearer the time. I hope this helps.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 16 Mar 2004 12:36

Hi all, I know exactly how you feel, I have contacted someone who has a matching name to one of mine and had no reply, but it`s not just on GC that it happens! I contacted someone through kindredkonnections who has my gg.grandfather in their tree, and haven`t heard anything back. On a more positive note; I contacted someone through Genukis surname list and had a reply almost immediately, one new third cousin for me!! I`d also like to thank those people that I`ve contacted through GC who replied regardless of whether we were linked or not, those who don`t reply don`t realise what a great bunch they`re missing out on! Rebecca