General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed on Wedding Venues Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 11 Mar 2004 17:42

Please can I have some help, I was looking at edinburgh castle to get married in next year, but the other half wants to look at other venues aswell but he doesn't know where. Anyone got any ideas of any good venues. Thanking you all in advance

Zoe

Zoe Report 11 Mar 2004 17:46

Natalie, If you're still wanting this side of the border Dalhousie castle near Ediburgh is nice and not too big. I've been to a couple of weddings there that felt really intimate. http://www.dalhousiecastle(.)c o.u k/ Chatelherault in Hamilton, Lanarkshire is beautiful, and just off the M74 so handy for people travelling from the south http://www.forbetterforworse(.)c o.uk/venues/chatelherault.shtml

Katwin

Katwin Report 11 Mar 2004 21:39

Nat, Don't know if its just Scotland you are interested in, but my son's friend had his reception at Stowe School, which is much closer to home for you. It is a beautiful place and the grounds are beautiful too. They had a string quartet playing on the verandah as we arrived and drinks were served. As the bride was Catholic they got married at the Catholic Church in Bicester which was beautifully decorated with flowers and as they were signing the register a solo girl singer sang Ave Maria which was so moving it brought tears to my eyes. My son got married last year in Las Vegas in The Little Chapel, but it was so expensive for everyone to attend. Hope you find the right place, Kathy x

Emma

Emma Report 11 Mar 2004 21:56

Natalie Have you looked on www(.)confetti(.)co(.)uk they have a very good venue finder, searchable by area or type of venue. Good luck in your search and congratulations. Emma.

Natalie

Natalie Report 12 Mar 2004 09:11

Thank you everyone so far, anymore would be appreciated.

Natalie

Natalie Report 12 Mar 2004 15:55

please help.

Sue

Sue Report 12 Mar 2004 16:24

Natalie Have a look at exclusivehotels(.)co(.)uk. All 4 hotels are in beautiful surroundings. The Manor House at Castle Combe (purported to be the prettiest village in the UK) would be my choice. Sue

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 12 Mar 2004 17:18

Nat Firstly congrats. Have you thought have marrying somewhere that has memories for you both? There are many places now you can marry and obtain permission fairly quickly. Perhaps a romantic spot you 2 go to ? Prehaps your own home or parents etc etc? Friends of ours ( avid Chelsea supporters ) were married on the home pitch before they tore it up. You can even marry in Canary Wharf the heart of london's dock Lands - its a registered venus ( why though is anyones guess). Whatever the venue it will be a wonderful day full of love and memories and the beginning of the rest of your lives : ) Much happiness Debi

Natalie

Natalie Report 16 Mar 2004 09:50

Thanks for all your help in this. I will let you all know which one I decide. Why does money always have to spoil stuff, there seems alot of lovely places but really expensive. thanks anyway Natalie

Natalie

Natalie Report 17 Mar 2004 09:03

Hi Everyone, Thank you for all your help in this. I am awaiting on Stowe School to get back to me, so that we can go round and have a look at the place. It is getting exciting Nat

Chris in London

Chris in London Report 17 Mar 2004 16:18

Choose the area you like the look of and then contact the Tourist Information Centre for that area. They usually have a good list and lots of local knowledge. Alternatively look in the front of reference books held by the Tourist Information Centres - Historic Homes and Castles (titles like that). They have a list of fantastic wedding venues.