General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Street parties celebrating end of WW2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 27 Mar 2004 21:01

This is a very long shot I know, but I wonder if anyone of your viewers has street photos, especially where I used to live in London, Brook Road. We had parties with long tables laid out with cakes, jellies, etc. usual party fare in those days. Another time was at the end of the Japanese war. These were called VE day and VJ day. I know a lot of photos were taken but I haven't seen any. I want to write my biography and include photos. I am adding Morrison and Anderson shelters (photos) and memories of the last war.

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 27 Mar 2004 22:53

Hi Sylvia, I have pictures of my Mum's road, Alexandra Road, East Sheen. Can't see her in them though. She would have been about 14 so may have thought she was to grown up! Naomi

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Mar 2004 14:35

Hi Sylvia, We also had street parties for the Coronation. Is that Brook Road in Clapton E5 where you lived? If so I grew up in Casimir Road - just a stone's throw away! Our house was bombed during the war and my dad kept umpteen scrap books of newspaper cuttings all through the war (about 20 or 30 of them, as far as I can remember). My niece has them all now, but I hope to get my hands on them shortly. He even had the wing of an incendary bomb in a glass case (is that how you spell it?) I'll see what I can do for you. Kathy

syljo

syljo Report 29 Mar 2004 20:03

Sorry for the delay in replying Kathy but I kept getting the message that I had to update my membership, don't know why as I've already paid. Anyway, seems it's working now. The Brook Road I lived in was London N.W. (Neasden, Cricklewood area)

syljo

syljo Report 29 Mar 2004 20:04

Just an afterthought. Where do you live in Oxfordshire. I used to live in Witney, where my 2 daughters were born. I'm hoping to get to England in September and will be staying near Banbury. Would like to see your photos then if possible. Sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2004 09:18

Sylvia, Have e-mailed you. Kathy