General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clan Donald Centre Skye

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 28 Mar 2004 03:26

I am going up to Skye this year and was wondering if anyone had used the centre for their research? As most of my rellies are from Skye I wondered what's available there. Thanks Christine

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 28 Mar 2004 14:54

Also try www.highlandconnection.org. Tells you all about whats available at the Clan Donald Centre. By the way, Armadale is a lovely little place to visit even if you're not searching for your roots! Have a great time and hope the midges don't get you... Pam

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 28 Mar 2004 17:14

Thanks to you both. I've been to Skye many times but never to the centre, will certainly give it a visit!

Carol

Carol Report 28 Mar 2004 17:17

This centre is definitely worth a visit. If you have time you might also see the Skye Museum of Island Life in Kilmuir in the northern part of the island. It is a lovely little museum with a fair amount of family history information. If you have Skye ancestors named McLeod it is of particular interest. Carol Franklin

Andy

Andy Report 28 Mar 2004 20:24

I remember passing the Clan Donald centre, last summer when I was up there for my holidays. Caught the ferry from Mallaig over to Armadale and went on a coach tour of the island. Magical part of the world.

Louise

Louise Report 29 Mar 2004 02:16

Hope you enjoy yourself Christine. I was up at the Centre a few years ago and loved looking round. The grounds are so pretty. Didn't use it for research (sadly, now that I know my Great Grandfather was born there lol) but had a great time. Let us know how you get on. Have you been to Dunvegan Castle in your previous travels there? Fantastic place.