General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

passion of the christ......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 28 Mar 2004 20:43

Went to see the film last night....anyone else saw? and what did you think? I found it quite moving, sad and very brutal...some parts i couldnt even watch........

John

John Report 28 Mar 2004 20:45

I plan to go and see it with my wife asap. Are you pleased you went Demelza?

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 28 Mar 2004 21:46

Bear in mind that this is the product of a person's mind, a person who's object may be to make a lot of money.

Abigail

Abigail Report 28 Mar 2004 21:51

This might be the product of someone's mind but it is a timely reminder that worse has happened, and is happening every day, in the world. It is difficult to face but if I am "actively" good, you know, caring, favours, etc, I feel I am making a small but significant inroad into all the brutality out there. Regards Abigail

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 28 Mar 2004 22:12

John, Yes i am glad that i went....it certainly makes you think about alot of things. Its very sad though.

Moira

Moira Report 28 Mar 2004 22:19

I saw the film a couple of weeks ago. As a Catholic I was raised with the Gospel account of the crucifixion and also with the Prophet Isaiah's words from the Old Testament. I thought the film remained true to those accounts as is possible. The film renewed my faith!!!

Linda

Linda Report 29 Mar 2004 10:19

I'm planning to go this week my brother in law saw it a month ago and said that it was very moving and he had seen nothing like it. To leonard, I have seen a couple of interviews about this film and I think Mel Gibson would have made it even if it had not been a box office success, it was just something he had to do Linda P

John

John Report 29 Mar 2004 11:21

Linda, Hopefully many will come to faith through this film. Lots of people don't seem to realise the consequence of sin and that only Jesus could do something about it!

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 29 Mar 2004 17:56

Did anyone watch the programme about Mel Gibson last night on Channel 4? I know that C4 love to dramatise things, but it really scared me that there are some right biggots out there (Mel Gibson's father for sure). I think it's fine to believe whatever you want to believe, just not to shove it down other people's throats, and to be so overt about your fundamentalist views. Hutton Gibson is almost as bad as some of those terrorists out there with his theories etc. Suggesting that the holocaust was exaggerated!! Puh-lease! As for the film, I've not seen it and quite frankly I don't want to anytime soon. I know about the easter story etc, and the way I see it is that it was the Romans who were the big bad in it, not the Jews. Nobody stood up to the Romans to stop the cruxifixion... and why should they? Jesus Christ was dying for them, for their sins, he wanted to. Hope I'm not offending anyone. I don't mean to if I am. Chloe

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 29 Mar 2004 23:20

The first time I saw violent death, it left me shaking afterwards. During WW2, in which I was involved, I saw so much of it that I became inured as I suspect most would if exposed to it to any great degree. I still feel compassion. mostly for the next of kin - and very sad for the human race in general who, whatever their cause, feel that god is on their side. I think it is true that most inflicted human pain and suffering in the world may be laid at the feet of religion. Having experienced extremes of both, I feel mental suffering is worse than the physical kind. Len

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Mar 2004 00:22

I too have no desire to see Brutality portrayed on the Big Screen. I have read the Bible more than once, and try to live up to the precepts of Christianity, not those of the Vengeful God of the Old Testament. Violence in any form is abhorrent to me. Yet another case of the Book being far better than the Film! Jim

Ruth

Ruth Report 30 Mar 2004 00:40

Who was responsible for Jesus Christ's death? His Father God was, if you read Isaiah 53, you will see "It pleased the Lord to bruise Him". We also sing "There was no other good enough to pay the price of sin". God loved us so much He gave His only begotten Son to die for us, All have sinned the Bible says, and it is only through the shedding of blood that there is remission for sins. Therefore anybody who has not yet acknowledged that they are sinners, and have asked Jesus Christ to come into their life as their Lord, they are still crucifying Jesus every day. I have not seen the film, nor do I intend to, I have spoken to people who have and they admit that it is not true to the Gospels. Nowhere do we read that Jesus was tempted by Satan in the Garden of Gethsemane, nor do we read that he was whipped and beaten on the way to Calvary. Simon carried the cross and that is all we read. The one-eyed vision we have of Christ through most of the film is very prophetic as far as the "One world Order" goes, as this undoubtedly represents the one all seeing eye of the anti-christ, as seen on the American Dollar. I feel this film is paving the way very smoothly for the coming of anti-christ and the "One World Order" which the U.S.A. are desperate to have. Goodbye Freedom, Goodbye Cash, Goodbye Sovereignty, Goodbye Church. Welcome 666 and the mark of the Beast. Read the book of Daniel and Revelation, this explains this film very well.

Bob

Bob Report 30 Mar 2004 00:49

I too will not be going to see this film. I simply couldn't stand to watch such graphic scenes of violence and death. I do believe however that Gibson has done a great service to Christianity by portraying (to those with stronger stomachs than mine) what death on the cross was really like. Not the sanitised version we see in those beautiful renaissance paintings. The only people who have anything to complain about might be the Romans.

Rosetta

Rosetta Report 5 Apr 2004 22:34

I went to see the film, and i found it very good...but at the end of the day Mel Gibson who is a devout catholic made a moving film portraying the truth about how Christ was treated before and during his crucifixion. I just cant understand why so many people are upset... but then as they say, the truth hurts.

John

John Report 7 Apr 2004 09:03

I went to see the film yesterday at Nuneaton Odeon. The two strongest themes were obviously suffering and temptation. It seemed a fairly faithful account of the Gospel narratives. The Romans were brutal and crucifixion was barbaric. The film showed this. Being grateful to Jesus isn't enough I suppose: Were the whole realm of nature mine That were an offering far too small Love so amazing, so divine Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Janice

Janice Report 7 Apr 2004 09:31

I have seen the film, and it brought home afresh what Christ achieved on the cross in order to pay for my sin. Hopefully this message will reach alot of people who wouldn't dream of going into a church, and who have no understanding of what Easter is all about. Janice

Aileen

Aileen Report 7 Apr 2004 10:53

I've seen the film twice and thought it amazing. As a practising Christian it brought home the message yet again of what Jesus did for me and mankind and hopefully others will want to ask questions as a result of seeing the film. In reality I am sure Christ's suffering was worse than any film could portray so the brutality aspect didn't faze me in the least. Fact is fact so you can't change it by dressing it down. My only wish would have been that Mel completed the story by adding the resurrection to the film. What happened on the cross was just the beginning of a bigger picture.... Aileen

Louise

Louise Report 7 Apr 2004 13:14

Well I haven't seen it yet but I intend to. As I heard it Mel Gibson made this film because he dearly wanted to and not because of box office returns. In fact there was a lot of speculation at the time that it might flop and it took someone with a lot of clout to get the backing to make it in the first place. Well done that man say I. Mel has always been clear in the media and interviews about his strong faith so I can't see materialistic motives being the force behind this. Saddens me that the meaning of Easter has been so lost to people today. Since when was it about chocolate?!!! Rolling of boiled eggs down the hill at Easter as kids used to remind us of the stone being rolled away from the cave where his body was interred. Now? Its another excuse much like Christmas to spend a fortune in the shops without even thinking twice about the symbolism of the egg. By the way, on a different tack... is Demelza your real name?? If so, lucky you, its so pretty. I've never seen anyone use it apart from Winston Graham in his Poldark series of books which were televised on BBC2. Angharad Rees played Demelza and was so lovely she made the name even more attractive lol. Lou

Victoria

Victoria Report 7 Apr 2004 20:41

Am hoping to go see this film at the weekend, but I feel I have to say as some others have that Mel Gibson has said that he wanted to make this film whatever which is why he put so much of his own cash into it! and i also hasten to add to all those people who mention graphic brutal scenes etc what did they think the whipping and crucifixion would be like? it was awful the way people used to be treated purely because of their beliefs, look around you some are still treated badly today!