General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 28 Mar 2004 22:14

hi everyone, can anyone help? it took me half an hour tonight to get connected to the net! i tried and tried,but i would'nt give up! these little boxes kept popping up saying different things,like,"failed to establish a connection",or "internal device not working",and a lot of different things i can't remember now,this has been happening a few days now,but i do eventually get on,could it be that the network is busy or what??PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 28 Mar 2004 22:20

Ive had the same problem. Are you on with NTL? Sheila

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 28 Mar 2004 22:30

karen, thanks for that, i found judys tip and printed it out,i will try that. sheila, i am with ukonline,so your having problems too!! but with a different server!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Mar 2004 22:30

You're not the only ones! Over the last few days mine has been saying 'disconnected by remote computer', then going on to another number, and taking at least half an hour to connect, if at all. I got on okay today but it is excrutiatingly slow and dies occasionally - very slowly. I can be trying to get somewhere and it takes over 5 minutes to tell me 'page unobtainable' ie -computer has died!! I am even beating it when I type!!! and playing patience is like pulling teeth. I've emptied my temporary files, and am not on NTL. Just very frustrated!!!

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 28 Mar 2004 22:36

maggie, mine says the same!!!!!!!!! i just keep redialing,eventually it connects,like you it took me half an hour to get on tonight.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 28 Mar 2004 22:57

I emptied my temp files less than a week ago...Ive never had this problem with getting connected before! Seems to be alright now though. Sheila

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Mar 2004 23:15

Karen, I delete everything!!!! When I first read Judy's advice, I had never done it before so there were loads to delete! Maybe I delete too much, as I have just been thrown off and told there was an 'internal error' and the blasted thing wouldn't shut down properly so I've scandisked (through necessity) as well! Ggggggrrrrrrr

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 28 Mar 2004 23:26

deleted temp.internet files,still took ages getting back on! how do i delete cookies?

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 28 Mar 2004 23:36

done that karen, going to switch off now,see how things go tommorrow,goodnight everyone and thanks for your help.

Louise

Louise Report 29 Mar 2004 02:12

You should clear your pc regularly.... at least once a week. Go to your Start button, then Programs then Accessories and then System Tools. You'll see various options, its a good idea to run Scan Disk, Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter as well as clearing your history, cookies and temporary internet files. I'd also recommend that you use a site like CNet to get a download like AdAware which clears spyware files from your pc. You never know who is planting what on ur pc behind the scenes and some of these files can effect how it runs. Hope that helps a bit. On the other hand, if your ISP (ukonline) has an online site for customers they may have a page to inform you of any faults they currently have on the network or servers.... worth checking out.... I know my ISP Bluyonder has one and sometimes it is an area fault rather than ur pc.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 29 Mar 2004 12:28

hi everyone, still having problems getting on, have phoned ukonline,they say it is an area fault and that they are working with B.T. to correct it, and all i can do is keep trying even tho it is very frustraiting,should be back to normal soon! " i hope"!!!!!!!!! at least i know it's not my p.c.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 29 Mar 2004 12:37

hi,me again, just read my email,and there was one from ukonline(i emailed them about the problem at the weekend) they say dial up connections have suffered an "outage"! what ever that is!! and appologise for the inconvenience.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Mar 2004 19:13

Thanks for that Christine. Probably explains the 'error on page' notice in the corner as well. The old puter lives to frustrate me another day!! Maggie

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 29 Mar 2004 21:34

maggie, did'nt take too long to get on this time,hopefully getting back to normal!!!!!!!!!!!