General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron

Ron Report 29 Mar 2004 13:23

Every Scot's person seems to have an Irish granny! My father's side were all famine or pre famine Irish. I haven't had any luck getting back to Irleand but the brick walls are starting to break down as to from where they originated. They include Dempsey from Dundalk, Bon(n)ar from Donegal, Brown from Down, other names are O'Donnell(2), Morgan, McNeillis, McDonald, Graham, McRobert, Crawford, Gallocher, Donnelly. They most went into the coal mines, in Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, stirlingshire and Fifeshire as well s West Lothian. Some worked a road repairmen in Kirkcudbright and Wigtownshire.

Natalie

Natalie Report 29 Mar 2004 15:19

My Gran was Irish and her whole family moved to Glasgow her surname before she got married was McGinley from co Dongel

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 29 Mar 2004 18:00

Yup, me too! I'm from Kyle of Lochalsh (West Coast of Scotland) and my grannie was born in Ireland. Mind you,it was only because her father was in the coastguard there. I believe they were only in Irealnd for around 10 years but who knows what i'll find. PAm

Wee Scottish Lass

Wee Scottish Lass Report 30 Mar 2004 20:02

My ancestors include McNelis or Monillis and O'Donnell as well. They came over to Greenock, Scotland from Donegal. Possibly Moville or Greencastle area. Have you anymore info on these names?

badger

badger Report 11 Apr 2004 10:48

Glad you have done so well Ron.i can,t get through that wall at all, i cant,even find the village the family Rowans came from [mourneshore down] ,so if anyone has any ideas ?please, Denis tfn Newcastle.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 11 Apr 2004 13:50

I'm another Glaswegian with Irish grandparents. Grandfather was from Belfast.....name - Corr and ggrandfather from county Monaghan... name - Ellis.

Jackie

Jackie Report 11 Apr 2004 14:00

hi there im glaswegian also, with irish greatgrandparents mccarrolls from county down , and grt grt grandparents o hara fron county clare, its amazing just how many of us scots have irish ancestry somewhere along the line.