General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA testing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 31 Mar 2004 15:42

Can anyone tell me what's involved in DNA testing? How can you prove parentage?

Lady on Lynchmere Common

Lady on Lynchmere Common Report 31 Mar 2004 18:02

Shirley I'll try! There are 2 types of DNA one that you get from both parents nuclear DNA I think)and one that is maternal ( mitocondrial DNA) You have to have blood, saliva or tissue samples taken and these are then tested and a sort of bar code produced. That's then compared with the samples from the other people. It can be found in the smallest of samples and collected from hair roots and cigarette butts! DNA testing has advanced over the last 10-15 years and is increasing being used to re-open cold cases, also to check parentage. Unfortunately this is how my partner found out that his daughter wasn't his, if you see what i mean. Very sad. The forensic science service have a website and there is loads of stuff on there. Hope that helps a bit. Debs

Little Lost

Little Lost Report 1 Apr 2004 06:59

Hi, I have had a few e-mails about DNA testing for tracing your ancestors. I was not sure how it worked so I mailed them for more details. I was confused as to how you get DNA from over 100 years ago but thats not it. As I understand it if you hit a brickwall and there is somebody else tracing the same name but gone back further you can see if you have a connection through the DNA test and then you can jump the wall to their ancestors and work your way forward towards yourself. Not sure if I have explained it right or even under stood it right. I think you can only trace a definate line through the males but not sure on that point either Gloria

Shirley

Shirley Report 2 Apr 2004 10:01

Thanks for the info. So if a pair of half-siblings had a DNA test, should it prove (or disprove) that they shared the same parent? ShirleyB

Karen

Karen Report 16 Apr 2004 00:52

nudge