General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAO comp expert: can't access log in pages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lianne

Lianne Report 2 Apr 2004 16:10

see below

Lianne

Lianne Report 2 Apr 2004 16:11

I am having a problem with my computer. I have ben online for a year and have had no problem up until three days ago accessing the log in pages for paypal and my credit card company. Now I cannot access these pages - it comes up with a page unavailable fault. The first night it happened, I had reason to believe that I had a virus and I thought this might be part of the problem. I have since formatted my hard drive as my virus scanner did not pick a mysterious file up as a virus(nor adaware as anything) but I was sceptical as i know it was not there two hours beforehand. Having reinstalled my operating system and internet browser software, I am still unable to access these pages - I have tried changing my internet security settings but this seems to have no effect. I can browse through all other pages on the sites - I just can't access the log in page. I have had other people try these sites for me on their computers and they can access them no problem, so i know it is my computer. does anyone have any ideas? lianne UPDATE: It just seems to be these pages - I can access other (secure) pages such as the BT at home log in with no problem.

Lianne

Lianne Report 2 Apr 2004 18:05

can i ask when the fire was as this problem started on 31st march the same thought had occured to me too, colin. also, my mum can access these sites - is this because she has isdn then?

Bob

Bob Report 2 Apr 2004 18:11

Fire was on 29th so could be relevant "The blaze, described by police as a 'major incident', began at around 3.20am on Monday morning in a deep level tunnel housing cables, 30 metres below the city's streets. The incident wiped out telephone and internet connections for many businesses as well as home users. Both ASDL and dial-up web customers were affected and many call centres and other organisations were forced to close or provide a restricted service to clients. As well as major problems in the Manchester area, police also reported lines down in parts of Lancashire, Merseyside and North Derbyshire. This morning, over 24 hours after the incident, many users remained offline. "

Rick

Rick Report 2 Apr 2004 18:27

Just to say that many of our phone and data lines at work were down for several days following the fire. A lot of other carriers use BT infrastructure too, so this could well be the problem you have been experiencing. Only one of our lines is still down and they expected to have that fixed today or tomorrow. Rick.

Lianne

Lianne Report 10 Apr 2004 14:53

sorry to bring this up again but is anyone still having problems accessing these pages? i have stilll had no access to these pages since about 30th march and nothing has been posted on their pages (you would think they'd put an announcement on to say what the problem was!). i thought i would email them to ask if it was just me - but lo and behold their contact us link must be on the same server as their log in so i can't even do that! HELP!!