General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 3 Apr 2004 22:24

Just wondered if anyone else was pet mad like me, I love animals I worked in a pet shop for 4 years and had a tendancy to take my work home!! I have a cat called Sheba who is 17 years old we got her from the cat rescue when she was 6 years old, a dog called Shep(yes he's a collie) he was also from a rescue home he is 2 this coming July and is daft as a brush, next 3 guineapigs, Brandy, Baby and Mum, 2 cockatiels Joey who is 12 years old(we rescued him) Ozzie, 2 budgies George and Dilly and last but not least hamster no.2. Fudge, we also have a selection of fish indoors and out. I am kept very busy with this lot and the hubbie and daughter!! Janie x

Sam

Sam Report 3 Apr 2004 22:28

we have 4 goldfish. Our next door neighbours cat makes up for the lack of other pets. She is in our house more than her own I think. I have 2 girls who adore her

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 3 Apr 2004 22:38

I have 4 guinea pigs, Eric & Ernie Rita and Mavis..lol

Jayne

Jayne Report 3 Apr 2004 22:53

i have a golden labrador( barney)whos 1 tomorrow i did not want a pet but the husband kept giving me ear ache i love him more than the husband now lol only joking .

Jane

Jane Report 3 Apr 2004 22:56

Lol Jayne I know what you mean, I adore my dog and I get withering looks from my hubbie because I keep singing Cat Stevens song "I love my dog as much as I love you" so true!!:)

Jane

Jane Report 3 Apr 2004 23:16

Tracey, it is never a good idea to buy a child a pet you yourself are not prepared to love and care for as 9 times out of ten it is the parents who end up with the task of looking after them and this can unfair on you and the animal

Rick

Rick Report 3 Apr 2004 23:26

Been around animals since my parents bought a collie as a companion for me when I was 12 months old. I now have an insane but lovely tortie & white cat called Saffron who's sat "puffed up" on the carpet next to me because I'm paying more attention to the 'puter than I am to her. It's only a matter of time before she jumps up & sits on the keyboard ! Rick.

Jane

Jane Report 3 Apr 2004 23:29

I know what you mean Rik, cats hate to be ignored, you daren't close a door on our Sheba because she will just scratch at it until you let her in, we love her though:)

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Apr 2004 11:39

Hi all, We've just got our first dog, picked her up from the local rescue home yesterday. She's a 5yr old Border Collie called Lucy. We were slightly worried about how long it would take her to settle, but she's been GREAT, couldn't have asked for a better behaved dog, she's clearly been well trained - love her to bits already !

Melba64

Melba64 Report 4 Apr 2004 11:56

I have two cats. Sacha is a lilac Tortie Burmese aged 10 this year and Onyx is a Black Domestic Shorthair (moggie in English) aged 7. When my previous cat died a friend said he knew someone who was looking for a home for one of his cats. I didn't want to separate them and eventually he agreed to let both go. I found out the reason he wanted to get rid of Sacha is because she sprays when she is stressed. Despite the health problems I have had to tend to with Sacha I love them both to bits and wouldn't be without them. I keep saying I won't get any more when these two have gone but I can't promise. I love cats. Mel

Jane

Jane Report 4 Apr 2004 23:00

Your pets all sound great, Deb you didn't say how old Bluebell the guineapig was? I was surprised my cockatiel(Joey) is still alive at 12 years old but someone told me they can live until they are 20!!!!

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 4 Apr 2004 23:21

hi i have a jack russell called katy and she loves to sit on my lap when ever im on the computer ,she has a lovely nature and only barks at men lol,very protective. karen "n" katy

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 5 Apr 2004 01:29

Jane, My sister's cockatiel lived to be 28! Few more years to go yet !!! lol. Viv.

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 5 Apr 2004 06:20

I have Tyke ( Border Collie ) aged 8 still thinks he is a pup, Micha ( German Shepherd) age 8, Yoshi ( Shitzu)age 12 , Jack ( Westie) age 12.I inherited Micha , Yoshi, and Jack when a friend died three years ago.Also have Claude a farm reject cat who thinks he is better on the putor keyboard then me!!! In the past have had Cockatiels, Budgies, Guinea Pigs and Rabbits. Tyke is the 3rd BC I have had Jan

Carrie in Godalming

Carrie in Godalming Report 5 Apr 2004 11:45

i think my mum is the mother of cat lovers! she has the following (cant remember them all!) Baby, sam, clarence, ladybird, pricilla, bob, sabrina, merlin, peaches, misty, spatz, lilly, rosie, daisy, sidney, gideon, pandora, norbert, buzby, pepe, leroy, ruggles, chrystal, blue, twinkle. however there are 3 new kittens that havent been named yet plus a few that escape me!! im not as obsessed i only have tiger, molly, golly, freddie, nossy, bell, smudgley and scooby. corrina

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Apr 2004 14:24

we have got 2 british bulldogs both aged 2 they are called annie and bella we also have an american bulldog called archie hes age 3 hubby and i used to breed chinese sharpei they are adorable,but we had a tendency to keep a puppy from every litter lol we eventually ended up with 7!! i also have 8 african albino frogs they are aquatic. over the years we have kept and bred french lop rabbits,and guinea pigs hubby also had chickens and i had 3 aylesbury ducks susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 5 Apr 2004 16:15

hi debs my garden isnt that big but as we love animals we thought"wat the heck"lol yes,sharpei are the wrinkly ones.they are born with wrinkles but they tend to grow into their skin as they get bigger they lose their wrinkles and we gain them(oh how i wish i was a sharpei) lol have you ever had trouble with your guinea pigs skin debbie? when we had ours their skin got very dry and they lost their fur alsotheir back legs went all peculiar as if they were paralysed..poor things we used to put vitimin drops in their water because apparently they cant make vitimin c on their own susie

Jane

Jane Report 5 Apr 2004 22:26

Wow, there are other people like me, I daren't breed anything or else I would be tempted to keep one of each litter!! Viv, a cockatiel 28 years, blimey!!! Deb, 7 years that seems pretty good going for old Bluebell:) Never heard of the funny legs with guineapigs, but they do need viamin c in their diets though. I have found my male guineapigs are the loudest and most boldest, I just love the way they await tea time and start squeaking when they hear the food bag lol