General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARTICLE FROM SOUTH AFRICA MAGAZINE APRIL 5, 1902

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindy

Lindy Report 4 Apr 2004 15:27

AN INTERESTING WEDDING The marriage of Mr. S. H. Wilson, R.E., third son of the late Mr. James Wilson, LL.D., of Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin, and Mis Ida Gervers, second daughter of Mr. Francis Theodore Gervers, of 3, Buckingham Gate, and Amat Ardgay, Ross-shire was solemnized in Holy Trinity Church, Brompton Square, on Thursday, the 20th ult. The church was prettily decorated with palms and white flowers. The bride, who was accompanied by her father, wore a gown of satin Orientale, the skirt adorned with panels of tucked chiffon bordered with Greek design in dull silver, while the bodice, also of tucked chiffon was finished with a deep collar of Honiton lace. The Court train of satin fell in artistic folds from the left shoulder. A tulle veil was worn over a wreath of orange blossom, and the bride carried a sheaf of lilies. Master Aylmer Porter, nephew of the bride, and Master Alex Wercher acted as pages, wearing costumes of white corded silk with wide collars of antique lace, and hats to match with feathers. The bride presented them with jeweled shamrock pins. The bridesmaids were Misses Alice and Annie Gervers, sisters of the bride; Miss Joy Markham, her niece, daughter of Admiral and Mrs. Markham; Miss Dorothy Wilson, niece of the bridegroom; Miss Muriel Arthur, and Miss L. Wallace. Their dresses were composed of white mousseline brilliante with sun-ray pleated skirts, the bodices made with yokes of Irish point and accordion-pleated collars. Their hats were white chrysanthemum straw trimmed with scarlet geraniums, and they carried flat baskets of the same flowers filled with favours of white flowers, which were afterwards distributed amongst the guests. The bridegroom presented each bridesmaid with a shamrock brooch in green enamel, with diamond centre. The service was fully choral. The Rev.! Alfred W. Gough, M.A., Vicar of the Parish, officiated, assisted by the Rev. H. Knight, Vicar of Bridge, Canterbury. The hymns were "Lead us, Heavenly Father, lead us," "The voice that breathed o'er Eden," and "O Perfect Love." Mr. Gough gave the address, and Mr. J. B. Wilson attended his brother as best man. Mr. and Mrs. Gervers held a reception at their house after the ceremony, and later the bride and bridegroom left for Paris, where the honeymoon is being spent. Over two hundred presents were received, of which the following is a selection:-- Mr. and Mrs. Ansell, diamond brooch; Captain and Mrs. Banbury, fan; Mr. and Mrs. Becher, two silver sugar castors; Mr. Beit, diamond brooch; Mr. and Mrs. Otto Beit, necklace; Mrs. Berlein, three silver fruit stands; Mr. and Mrs. Breitmeyer, silver toilet set; Sir Charles and Lady Cayzer, silver mirror; Sir William and Lady Colville, golden treasury box; Mrs. Davison, card case; Mr. and Mrs. Dettelbach, silver and tortoise-shell writing set; Lady and the Misses Elphinstone, silver-mounted sugar basin; Mr. and Mrs. English, brooch; Mr. and Mrs. Eckstein, sugar basin and spoon; Mr. F. R. S. Gervers, R.E., sewing machine with stand; Mr. and Mrs. Gervers, canteen of table silver, coffee and tea set; Sir R. and Lady Harrison, inkstand; Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Hirsch, silver inkstand; Mr. and Mrs. Leopold Hirsch, silver pen and pencil; Mrs. And Miss Lewis, worked table centre; Mr. and Mrs. Litkie, gold enamel brooch; Mr. S. G. Loch, R.E., cigar box; Mr. and Mrs. Mankiewitz, gold handke! rchief bag; Mr. F. Mankiewitz, silver dessert knives and forks; Mr. and Mrs. Marc, sable collar and muff; Admiral and Mrs. Markham, old Halim lace flounce; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Mosenthal, salver; Mr. and Mrs. Moreing, paper knife; Mr. L. Neumann, silver inkstand; Viscountess Parker, card case; Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Porter, diamond ornament; Mr. and Mrs. Rube, silver salver; Mr. and Mrs. J. Rudd, silver butter dish; Lady Euan Smith, St. George and Dragon jewel; Sir Charles Euan Smith, silver Patience box; Mr. and Mrs. Tallerman, asparagus dish; Mrs. W. P. Taylor, diamond buttons; Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Taylor, gold purse; Mr. F. Voelklein, silver and glass centre piece; Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Wallis, small silver bowl, and Mr. and Mrs. Wernher, diamond and ruby ornament. Compliments of E.S.

Lindy

Lindy Report 4 Apr 2004 15:30

I thought that members might find this interesting. Lindy:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Apr 2004 15:45

Lindy - wow - can you imagine if one of the people mentioned in the article sees this - what a brilliant piece of family history that would be . It's nice to see the descriptions of the wedding costumes - thanks for sharing it - I found it very interesting :-)

June

June Report 4 Apr 2004 15:49

Lindy I was fascinated by the presnts too

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 4 Apr 2004 15:51

It almost reads like my wedding present list --NOT. Where are the bread board, tea towels, washing up bowl?

Lindy

Lindy Report 4 Apr 2004 15:54

Thanks She, I was hoping some of the members would be interested. There are more articles but not as grand as the wedding. Not all to do with British subjects, some are just day to day happenings in the lives of the people during that period. Lindy:-)

Trish

Trish Report 4 Apr 2004 19:06

This is brilliant, but like Elisabeth said - nothing like my wedding presents

Lindy

Lindy Report 6 Apr 2004 11:02

Trish, Nor mine!! Could you imagine going back in time and attending that wedding? I would not have anything to wear! lol... Lindy:-))