General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

silly question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 6 Apr 2004 22:56

What does the LOL mean?

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 6 Apr 2004 22:57

laugh out loud

badger

badger Report 7 Apr 2004 08:25

which is heavier,he,he .Grandson says it means lots of laughs to the young uns.Denis tfn Newcastle.

Trish

Trish Report 7 Apr 2004 08:43

When I first joined this board I thought you were all sending me lots of love! lol :-))

Penny

Penny Report 7 Apr 2004 08:46

I've always used it as a sign off 'lots of love' My son got a texting abbreviation book out from the library and thats what it lists it as! Hope people don't think I am being sarcastic if it really is 'laughs out loud' Stick to Rgrds I think! Penny

Bob

Bob Report 8 Apr 2004 07:57

If in doubt, how about a GC-extension ? LOLa - lots of laughs LOLo - lots of love and for special people (about 95% of all of us on GC !), LOL&L ! LOL&L, Bob

Rick

Rick Report 9 Apr 2004 10:14

It always used to mean "Laughs out loud", but does also get used as "Lots of love" nowadays. Not that they're used on this board much, but here are some other common abbreviations: AFAIK - as far as I know BFN - bye for now BRB - be right back BTW - by the way DARFC - ducking and running for cover FWIW - for what it's worth FYI - for your information HAND - have a nice day HTH - hope this helps IIRC - if I recall correctly IMHO - in my humble opinion IMNSHO - in my not so humble opinion PMFJI - pardon me for jumping in TIA - thanks in advance TTYL - talk to you later I left out the rude ones ! Rick.

Bob

Bob Report 14 Apr 2004 10:06

Nudge: because Patricia McNamee "lol -what does that mean to you? "also wants to know ---

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2004 10:21

another commonly used abbreviation - LTNS = long time no see

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 14 Apr 2004 12:35

T.T.F.N......... Ta ta for now !! ( Goodbye) Elaine x

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2004 15:05

It took me ages to find out that lol means laugh out loud and didn't like to appear ignorant and ask!! In my ignorance I thought it might mean lots of love or even little old lady. Do all these abbreviations come from text message speak?? Kathy

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 14 Apr 2004 16:38

Another one thats good on here is SKS = Some Kind Soul - as in 'can SKS do me a look-up!!' Maz. XX