General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ranscombe??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Abigail

Abigail Report 7 Apr 2004 22:52

Does anyone have any idea where Ranscombe would have been in Brixham? It is on a birth certificate I am trying to follow up but I cannot find it on any map, except as a Ranscombe Road. It is written as an area on the birth certificate from 1887. Thanks Abigail

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 7 Apr 2004 23:15

Greeting's Wendy. . . . . If you go to the site:- www (.) old-maps (.) (co) (.) UK Remove brackets. but not the hyphen. Type in Brixham in the search box there's a 1862 maps You have to scroll up a bit till you get to the harbour using the arrows at top of the map and the enlargement scale (bottom of map ) you will see a road with Ransombe House on it Hope this helps.

Abigail

Abigail Report 7 Apr 2004 23:44

Thanks Mike. I have found a Ranscombe Terrace and a Ranscombe House but it is confusing as the English birth certificates from this time don't give the address like the Scottish ones do. So I am not sure of exactly where they mean but I am closer than I was I think! Regards Abigail

badger

badger Report 8 Apr 2004 09:21

Wendy ,you could try logging on to multimap.com, ive just tried it and came up with the Brixham area ok, if you zoom in from there you might find what you are looking for.Denistfn Newcastle.

Geoff

Geoff Report 8 Apr 2004 10:23

www.streetmap.*co.uk (remove *) has 3 Ranscombes in Devon (none near Brixham), one in Kent and one in Somerset.

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 17 Apr 2004 23:59

Just a thought Wendy Could that have been Branscombe which is in Devon NoraH