General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SOUTH AFRICA MAGAZINE DECEMBER 19, 1896

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindy

Lindy Report 8 Apr 2004 16:11

>DECEMBER 19, 1896 > >LETTERS TO THE EDITOR > >Rinderpest: A Suggestion > >To the Editor of "South Africa" > >Sir, --The rinderpest seems to defy all attempts to arrest its progress, and all remedies so far have proved useless. In my own experience a farm surrounded by the "foot and mouth" disease, here in England, was kept free from any case of the disease by "tarring" the muzzles of all the cattle on the farm. Whether the microbe was arrested or whether the tar, licked by the cattle from their noses, had the effect of producing a "Condy's Fuid" by absorption in the stomach of the animal, the fact remains they none were taken ill. It may be worth your while to ventilate the question in your widely-read columns. > >Yours faithfully, >M. Kirkpatrick >38, Charlwood Street >Belgrave Road, S.W., December 12 > >RHODESIAN TRANSPORT > >To the Editor of "South Africa" > >Dear Sir,--Referring to a leading paragraph which appeared in the last issue of your valuable journal re transport in Rhodesia, I thoroughly agree with the idea that an important transport service would be of great use, and, in fact, is a necessity, and I have no doubt in my mind that such a scheme would prove a very profitable one. At the same time, having been a resident for some years in Rhodesia and being largely interested in the country, and possessing a thorough knowledge of the roads of the country, I would point out that in Rhodesia the use of traction-engines has already proved a failure. There are at the present time several traction-engines lying useless on the roads. Everybody who is acquainted with Rhodesia knows that certain parts of the roads are very sandy, and it is quite impossible for traction-engines to be run upon them; and in particular the idea of crossing rivers by means of an engine on each bank is quite impracticable, and must have originated from ! >ignorance of the state of the country. > >Thanking you for giving space for this letter in your journal. > >I am, yours obediently, >Godfrey Jacobs >20, Bucklersbury, London, E.C., >December 16 > >RHODESIAN DEVELOPMENT > >To the Editor of "South Africa" > >Sir,--There are some people who think that the Right Honourable Cecil Rhodes (the man who has done more for the expansion of the British Empire than any other man living, and concurrently, you must remember created an outlet for all the other markets of the world!) should begin to formulate some agricultural scheme of emigration for Rhodesia. It would be a very long and a very slow process to allow that country to "fill up" of its own free will. Rhodesia is represented to be about as large as France, fairly mineralized all through, and what is more important-a liveable portion of South-Eastern Africa. Such being the case, such a colossal and invaluable asset may be computed to be worth, probably, from 20 to 30 millions sterling! Compared, then, with that rough valuation, its present liability of some 3 ½ millions is a mere flea-bite, rendering it, if I may venture to say so, almost incumbent upon Mr. Rhodes, after his arrival in England, to devote another 3 ½ millions for th! >e purposes of emigration to Rhodesia. How do other countries manage to locate their thousands of British agriculturists upon their immense tracts of virgin soil, for the mutual benefit and good of all concerned? That is the question. > >I am, &c., >An Old Colonist >December 12 Compliments of E:S:

Abigail

Abigail Report 9 Apr 2004 00:31

the South Africa and the date caught my eye. I was wondering do you have any information relating to nurses shipped out from the UK, specifically Scotland to work in the conflict? Regards Abigail

Lindy

Lindy Report 9 Apr 2004 21:59

I am afraid not but I shall keep my eyes open. Lindy:-)