General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Desert Island Books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rick

Rick Report 10 Apr 2004 00:21

I'm sure someone here said they were going to do this but I never saw a thread started. Same rules as always - 8 choices allowed, your favourites rather than "the greatest".

Rick

Rick Report 10 Apr 2004 00:27

Here we go.... Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie Money - Martin Amis The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams Earthly Powers - Anthony Burgess 100 Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez A Fairy Tale of New York - J.P.Donleavy Foundation and Empire - Isaac Asimov The Tin Drum - Gunter Grasse Rick. Oh and Myra Breckinridge - Gore Vidal. They're my rules & I can break them !

Rick

Rick Report 10 Apr 2004 19:48

Karen, I haven't heard of the book before, but I'm desperately trying to get the mental image of Vanessa Feltz & strawberries out of my mind ! Rick.

Rick

Rick Report 10 Apr 2004 19:52

Christine, I'm a little biased here, but sound like your hubby has excellent taste ! Both books are worth reading, although The Tin Drum is a trifle harder going !! Think I read the HHGTTG in a single afternoon - very funny book. I hear they're making it into a film with that bloke from The Office - hope they do a better job than the film version of The Tin Drum which failed miserably to match up to the book. Rick.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Apr 2004 22:48

Rick - it was me - guilty as charged!! Have been thinking hard, but because I could only get to 7 I never started the thread!! Now you have pushed me, so here goes .... (oh I am a bit wierd by the way if you didn't know!!) The Stand by Stephen King Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold Fear of Flying by Erica Jong To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee hmmmmm - still can't get to 8, will let you know if I come up with one ... Maz. XX

Abigail

Abigail Report 10 Apr 2004 22:52

Maz, you're not weird! Love all of your choices, you are only short of the Moonstone and the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and something by Deric Longden for tummy toning laughter.

Rick

Rick Report 11 Apr 2004 01:23

Maz - some heavy reading in there. Made me realise that most of mine were either humourous or had a funny undertone - phew ! Rick.

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 11 Apr 2004 01:55

Well then, Im a bit of an adventurer. wrote down about 20, then chopped some away. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson. Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain. Robinson Crusoe, by Daniel Defoe. Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy Dr Zhivago, Pasternak The Grapes of Wrath, by Steinbeck. Lolita, by Nabokov. Bill

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Apr 2004 12:03

Rick I felt that I shouldn't just list any old books that I have read and enjoyed - I read almost anything, humour, biogs and crime/thrillers in particular (esp Cornwell/Reichs type) - as I could never get down to 8. With the exception of Lovely Bones (which is new) I have read all of the others at least 3 times - some I have read more often! This is why I found it so difficult to get up to 8!! I suppose I could add The Hobbit, but that feels like cheating to me!! Anyway, must get back to my book ..... Maz. XX