General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census early release proposal - I've had a wr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Apr 2004 10:34

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 Apr 2004 10:34

I've had a letter from my MP, Janet Dean (MP for Burton), confirming that she supported the Early Day Motion. There were 59 signatures altogether. Has anyone else heard from their MP? Or, perhaps more interestingly, has anyone who's MP didn't support it had an explaination as to why not? The signatures were: Adrian Bailey Peter Bottomley Chris Bryant David Chaytor Ann Cryer Andrew Dismore Howard Flight Sandra Gidley Mark Hendrick Kelvin Hopkins Nigel Jones David Laws Paul Marsden Andrew Murrison John Randall Bob Spink David Taylor Bill Tynan Steve Webb Ann Winterton Roger Berry Colin Breed Dr Vincent Cable David Chidgey Edward Davey Jonathan Djanogly Andrew George David Hamilton Lady Hermon Simon Hughes Paul Keetch Terry Lewis Kevin McNamara Greg Pope Adrian Sanders George Stevenson John Taylor (Solihull) Rudi Vis John Wilkinson David Borrow Annette L Brooke Martin Caton Jeremy Corbyn Janet Dean Sue Doughty Neil Gerrard Mike Hancock Stephen Hesford Lynne Jones Dr Ashok Kumar Elfyn Llwyd Tony McWalter Dr John Pugh Alan Simpson Graham Stringer Paul Tyler Joan Walley Paul Willis

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 10 Apr 2004 11:16

Just had a reply from my MP Mark Tami in this mornings post. "Thank you for your letter urging the early release of the 1911 census. I have contacted the minister responsible at the department of Constitutional Affairs. I hope that I will be able to be of some assistance and will be in touch as soon as I have any further information." Another one to add to the list! Linda

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 10 Apr 2004 12:18

Margaret, I did have a reply, by post, before the EDM from Patrick Mercer. He explained that it was a Commons courtesy that front bench members, from both sides, did not sign. Quite why I don't know. (I often bump into him, not literally, when he is in the town on market day. He is a very pleasant man.) Daphne, I remember my boys getting letters when they reached 18.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Apr 2004 16:05

I Had a report from my MP about an adjournment didn't really undeerstand it all, but said he supported me, not sure if it is going to come up again but perhaps a petition from all members might make them think. All I did get was they where saying that people might object but it is only therecent census's that have been guarenteed to be held for a 100 years. Maureen

Julie

Julie Report 10 Apr 2004 16:08

An early release would be brilliant otherwise it's gonna be a long 7 years!!!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 10 Apr 2004 22:23

I see my MP (Neil Gerrard, labour for Walthamstow) has signed - he is generally very good and recently championed a bill to ensure blind folk can take their guide dogs in taxis with them. Maz. XX

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 10 Apr 2004 23:04

Howard Flight is my MP and glad to see he signed - he did'nt respond to my e.mail tho'. Sue

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 10 Apr 2004 23:57

My M.P. isnt on the list,nor have I had a reply. Linda Gilroy. Out of curiosity,did anyone count how many M.P.s were contacted,how many replied.It seems the map was pretty much covered by members of G.C. Silly question,how many M.P.s are there? Be interesting to see the count. Those who did,those who did not. regards trish

geofnina

geofnina Report 13 Apr 2004 09:49

Unfortunately I don't have an M.P.as I left theold dart 40 years ago and am now an Australian citizen. This does not however change my quest for info on my ancestors and I fully support the early release of the 1911 census (before I expire).As a matter of interest can anyone explain the idiocy of not releasing all such information at least 70 years later when most participants will have departed, and those who haven't couln't care a cuss?!!!!

Gem in Wakefield

Gem in Wakefield Report 13 Apr 2004 16:07

Hi I recieved a letter from my MP, David Hinchliffe, saying that he was also a family historian, and he uses cunsus information, but he wasn't going to support the EDM, because of 'unwelcome information that it may bring to the elderly in their final years'. Gem

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 13 Apr 2004 16:49

LOL Daphne. (Tony Blair. America. comment) As for turning 18 and getting a letter, I did, but my 18th was also the same year as the last election, so maybe it varies. My MP is Michael Mates, not a surprise at all to not see him on the list. He's rubbish. Stupid tory! Bring on the Lib Dems!! Chloe

Len

Len Report 14 Apr 2004 19:59

Hi Margaret, Just sent email to my MP peter Viggers asking him to give the matter some of his attention, also suggested that we have the same routine as I believe Ireland has, that is to do away with the 100 year rule and have a 50 year one, that would be even better. Its stupid haveing that info locked up when theres so much on computors about people Len in Gospor Update. met my MP at local party election celebration, gave him all the info and to make sure emailed him with same. 1 month later still nothing, makes me wonder what he does up there. 21/8/04

Lianne

Lianne Report 14 Apr 2004 20:51

Not trying to throw a spanner in the works - and fuly agree with wanting the early relaease of this census. But has anyone considered that even if this census is released early, it wil still be at least 10 years i'm guessing until the next one is released - 17(!!!) if they release it when it is actually due to be released. This is only, of course, if the government do nothing to change the length of time for census records to be held. Lianne

Debbi

Debbi Report 21 Apr 2004 11:22

My MP Nick Harvey never bothered to reply to my email nor is his name on the list you provided Margeret. I shall email him and ask why this is so!! I am fed up with people not having the curtesy to reply to emails..almost as if they are not to be taken seriously...!! Anyone else feel like this? Debbi