General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Josephine Cox?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sam

Sam Report 12 Apr 2004 22:21

Does anyone read Josephine cox or Meg Hutchinson books? If so, which one have you read and what are your favourites?

Valerie

Valerie Report 13 Apr 2004 05:18

Hi,I have read the following books by Josephine Cox. Love Me or Leave Me Miss You For Ever The Gilded Cage Tomorrow The World Let It Shine Rainbow Days The Woman Who Left Bad Boy Jack. I enjoyed them all but I think Bad Boy Jack is one of the nicest. I am a great fan of Catherine Cookson too.

Ma

Ma Report 13 Apr 2004 09:38

i have read all of josephine cox books i like her books and as i live in the town the book are nr all about i can see the places and the roads.

Brenda

Brenda Report 13 Apr 2004 12:22

I really like Josephine Cox and Catherine Cookson Books,I also like Maisie Moscos books ,they are set round the area of Manchester near where I live and are about her family and their struggles when they finally got here to England from russia.Like Marilyn says it makes it more interesting when you know the area.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 14 Apr 2004 19:36

I have read Outcast, Vagabonds and Alley Urchin - Trilogy which I foud very good. Also have read all Mary Jane Staples - Most of her books follow on from previous ones, all about the Adams family from the Walworth area in London. Cannot wait for next one. Liz

Valerie

Valerie Report 15 Apr 2004 01:02

Elizabeth,Thanks for mentioning Mary Jane Staples books. I think I would enjoy reading those.I will keep an eye out for them.

Sam

Sam Report 15 Apr 2004 23:37

I also like Jessica Stirling, sally Warboyes, Donna Baker, Ruth Hamilton, Anna Jacobs and J.K.Rowling.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 16 Apr 2004 21:33

Hi Valerie Mary Jane Staples first book came out quite a while back (Think 15 odd years ago - prehaps someone else can remember better) called Down Lambeth Way. Most of the books are about the Adams family - trials, errors, 1st and 2nd WW. Marriages, deaths, children, etc etc. Seem to have reached the 1950's at the moment. Anyone now when the next one is out - seem to be 2 a year at the moment. Valerie - if you look on amazon site - you can do a search for authors and gives a list of books, both hardback, paperback and audio that have been released. Regards Liz

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 16 Apr 2004 22:02

Other fav writers are Bill Bryson Virginia Andrews - earlier books (not the ones written by ghost writer after her death) Barbara Erskine Confess to having read Enid Blyton too Liz

Josephine in OZ.

Josephine in OZ. Report 21 Apr 2004 09:46

HAVE READ UP TO NOW ALL OF JOSEPHINE COX'S BOOKS, PLUS A FEW OF MEG HUTCHINGSONS. HAVE ALSO READ ALL OF CATHERINE COOKSONS BOOKS SO FAR!!. AUDREY HOWARD HAS SOME GOOD ONES AND MAUREEN LEE. WE WERE DICUSSING WHAT A MESS OUR BOOKCASE LOOKS SO UNTIL WE CAN AFFORD ANOTHER ONE, SO SOME OF THESE BOOKS WILL HAVE TO GO INTO STORAGE. I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF PUTTING THE LISTS INTO THE COMPUTER. FOR ANYONE WHO LIKES TO READ ABOUT THE LIVERPOOL AREA, TRY HELEN FORRESTER OR LYN ANDREWS.

Angelic Alaina

Angelic Alaina Report 21 Apr 2004 12:40

Hi Had to put a reply on here, just read The woman who left and Jinnie by Josephine Cox, absolutely fantastic could put them down! alaina xx

Sam

Sam Report 21 Apr 2004 21:49

George, Alaina - I hve read those books too. Have you come across an author called Gwen madoc? I am reading one of her books now ( Daughter of Shame). This is quite a good book