General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Floppy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 15 Apr 2004 11:13

A friend has given me 6 floppy discs, are they useful? She told me that she was not sure what is on them. So my knowledgeable ones, (a) how do I find out whats on them, if anything (b) how to then empty them (in detail) (c) how to put info on them (in serious detail). I am supposing (hoping) that i'm not the only one who would not mind this info. Thanks, Derek PS Is it possible to ride over the info already there without wiping clean?

Bob

Bob Report 15 Apr 2004 11:28

If you stick the disc into your computer and then click "my computer" you should see the A drive. Click on that to see if there is anything on it. Before you use it you should "right-click" on the A Drive icon and select "Format". This will ensure that your computer can write to the disc. After that. If you "Right click" on any file you will see an option to "Send to". One of the choices will be 3½ Floppy. Alternativley you can copy and paste in the usual way. These discs are not now considered the most reliable method of storing data and they are quite cheap to buy. Personally I wouldn't use them for anything vital. Bob

Derek

Derek Report 15 Apr 2004 12:05

Thanks Bob, a real gem and worked a treat. May I ask if you can expand on your last paragraph, what alternative options s are there? regards, Derek

Bob

Bob Report 15 Apr 2004 12:31

Derek The safest option is to "Warehouse" your data by sending it to a commercial data storage system via the web. Yahoo Briefcase will give you 30meg of storage totally free (you really need broadband for this) http://briefcase.ya*hoo.*com/ There are others but that's one I know of. The next best is to copy the data to a cd usind a cd "burner" (note... There are 2 types. 1 You put the data on disc and can't change it or write over it after. 2. You can use the cd like another drive... Wite and re-write as much as you like. Feel free to ask if you want more detail. Bob

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 15 Apr 2004 12:58

Derek When you go to buy CD's make sure you get RE-WRITABLES. I made that mistake first time round - i've just put loads of stuff on CD and if I can do it anyone can ! Sue