General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A MICROSOFT PROBLEM.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Apr 2004 23:13

Yesterday a window appeared on my screen with this message: Microsoft Critical Update Notification: New critical updates are available for your computer.Microsoft strongly recommend that you install these updates now. To read about and install these updates, click "view critical updates". The windows update site will guide you through the installation. If you would like to postpone for 24hrs, click "notify me later". This message will appear tomorrow when you connect to the internet. Postponing installation of critical updates is nor recommended. Is this genuine,will l get charged or should l just ignore it?? Help:o( Jude

Jan From Bristol

Jan From Bristol Report 15 Apr 2004 23:17

Hi Jude I have windows xp proffesional and I often get that message for updates..They do not charge you for it.

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 15 Apr 2004 23:17

Hi When I get a message like that, I do as I'm told and update. No doubt someone else will advise you corrctly though. Regards Norah

Clitheroelass

Clitheroelass Report 15 Apr 2004 23:18

hi i went on to updates yesterday to see if there were any, there were 5 critical ones which i did download. tracy

Janet

Janet Report 15 Apr 2004 23:18

If it's any help Jude, I have Live Update, so they come through automatically, and I received two critical security updates yesterday. If you are still in doubt, I would suggest that you go onto the Microsoft website yourself and 'Check for Updates'. That way, you'll be safe. Hope this helps. Janet

Rick

Rick Report 15 Apr 2004 23:20

Hey Jude ! It's for real & you won't get charged. Someone's configured your PC to talk to the internet and get updates direct from the Microsoft site using a program called Windows Update. I always use it - it's a good way to make sure your PC doesn't get hit by nasty software like worms. Rick.

Janet

Janet Report 15 Apr 2004 23:20

Oooh!! Loads of replies - and all at once! :o)

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Apr 2004 23:20

Cheers guys:o) Fanx Colin - had a feeling you would answer:o)))) bless:o))))

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Apr 2004 23:23

Wow - 7 replies all at once!!!! cheers:o) Jude

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Apr 2004 23:56

l DUNNIT!!!!! thanks for all your help:~) Jude x

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 16 Apr 2004 00:01

Jude, I recieved my update today, obviously something is happening, as Norton updated aswell, Look out everyone, OOHHH another attack from the 'virus geniuses'! God I wish they'd put their knowledge to good use!!

Judy

Judy Report 16 Apr 2004 01:13

You might want to also go direct to the Microsoft Update site and download the recommended updates as well as driver updates, if this isn't something you've done in the past or have done recently.....all keeps your computer running top notch and keeps you up to date with technology on the internet. Judy

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Apr 2004 09:07

Have just done another scan and l am all upto date now - thanks, l will in future keep a regular check. Kim - could'nt agree more,but then we'd proabably all be living on the moon now!!!! narrrrr don't fancy that - lol