General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

withernsea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 18 Apr 2004 15:09

Any one heard off this place???

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 18 Apr 2004 15:18

Michael, just googled it and it's apparently in Holderness, Yorkshire.

Anne

Anne Report 18 Apr 2004 15:42

You've never lived if you havn't been to Withernsea!!!! It's like a very, very, very tiny Blackpool. Get the picture?! Anne

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 18 Apr 2004 16:07

it is on the East coast of Yorkshire some would maybe like to say humberside...but when my dead rellies wandered through it, it was in Yorkshire Jan

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Apr 2004 16:24

Ooooooh Jan! how dare you? lol Withernsea is in and always has been in East Yorkshire. It's about 30 miles away from me. It's not the most flash of places but it's ok for a day out on the beach with the kids. Jeanette

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Apr 2004 16:44

Heard of Withernsea?. Ray my hubby is from there, all his family still live there. Withernsea's claim to fame. Kay Kendall the film star who starred in Genevive was born there and her mother lived two doors away from Ray.

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 18 Apr 2004 17:33

Jeanette Knew you would comment YORKSHIRE is where it is and always has been aint it !!! lol Had a disagreement with someone a few years ago about what was in East Yorkshire she was not a Yorkie herself she said Brid , Skipsea, Hornsea, Withernsea etc were all humberside and had been for years..!!!!!!!!!!! We know better lol Jan

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Apr 2004 17:44

oh dear, Ray has asked me to say Withernsea has always been in YORKSHIRE .

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Apr 2004 23:19

Jan I hope you don't speak to that person now! lol Terri I should think so too! Jeanette:-)

Bob

Bob Report 19 Apr 2004 01:10

I can't let you tykes get away with this... There is no such place (nor ever was) as "East Yorkshire". North, South and West Ridings yes, but no East. Withernsea is and always was in NORTH Yorkshire. Bob

Deborah

Deborah Report 19 Apr 2004 02:12

It's just up from Hull

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 19 Apr 2004 06:22

Bob It is in East Yorkshire...and there never was a South Riding.. That is South Yorkshire and that arrived about the same time as Humberside... It was North Riding, East Riding and West Riding of Yorkshire.My rellies were born in the East Riding of Yorkshire...not many miles from Withernsea...I also have them born in West Riding THE THREE RIDINGS OF YORKSHIRE Yorkshire is named after York and York is a shortened form of the Viking name Jorvik, which was in turn an interpretation of the Anglo-Saxon name Eoforwic. Yorkshire is the county or ‘shire’ of York City and has been know in the past as Eoferwicscir, the County of York and Le Counte d’ Everwyck. North Yorkshire is the biggest county in England, formed in part by the old North Riding of Yorkshire. The term ‘riding’ is of Viking origin and derives from Threthingr meaning a third part. There were indeed three ridings in Yorkshire - the East Riding, West Riding and North Riding. The ancient Kingdom of Lindsey, known today as Lincolnshire was also an area of considerable Viking settlement and was likewise divided into three ridings. The East and North Ridings of Yorkshire were separated by the River Derwent and the West and North Ridings were separated by the Ouse and the Ure-Nidd watershed. In 1974 the three ridings of Yorkshire were abolished and York which had been a county in its own right, independent of the three ridings was incorporated into the new county called North Yorkshire. Northallerton, the capital of the North Riding continued its administrative role as the headquarters for North Yorkshire, but Middlesbrough which once held a quarter of the North Riding population was moved into the newly created county called Cleveland which also included Hartlepool and Stockton from County Durham north of the Tees. Most of East Yorkshire centred on Hull was combined with North Lincolnshire to form a County called Humberside. More recently Cleveland County and Humberside have been abolished and for cultural purposes inhabitants north of the River Humber and south of the River Tees can regard themselves as Yorkshiremen once again. Jan

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Apr 2004 06:53

Having been born and bred in Withernsea EAST YORKSHIRE. My family still live in Withernsea. I can confirm that it is, always was and will remain in East Yorkshire. From Yorkie.- Spitting feathers. Ray

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Apr 2004 07:57

reply to Jan. Ray says well done that lass, he is glad someone is educated lol. I dont know about keeping the red flag flying he certainly wants the White rose of Yorkshire to bloom. Quite right too.

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 19 Apr 2004 08:57

Michael My family are from a village not far from Withernsea and I remember many childhood trips there as a youngster when my granny was doing her Friday shopping trip! Is there any particular reason you are interested in it?

Bob

Bob Report 19 Apr 2004 09:30

Jan Oh! dear I was wrong. North, East and West it is. I blame the red wine (or is it old age setting in). Sorry. Bob

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 19 Apr 2004 13:06

Bob Apology accepted Jan

Bob

Bob Report 19 Apr 2004 13:27

Reminds me of a story I heard on the radio of an old couple who drove into Mytholmroyd and were arguing about how to pronounce it. They stopped at a fast food joint for lunch and the chap asked the youth behind the counter "how do you pronounce the name of this place?" The youth looked surprised and then said slowly and clearly Ber ger King. Bob