General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What sort of world will future generations inherit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 18 Apr 2004 15:54

Makes me wonder, looking at the world today. Nuclear War & Waste, Global Warming, Melting Ice Caps, Extinction of Species, Cruelty, Crime, Terrorism ...... to name a few. On a positive side, Awareness, Advanced Technology (if used in for positive reasons) Cures for Cancer and other diseases...... Not forgetting GC of course!!!! Is it too late to make this world a more compassionate and a safer place to be? how can we achieve it ? how will they cope? No, I'm not on a downer nor mean to be depressing, but it's a thought, surely. Lynda

syljo

syljo Report 18 Apr 2004 16:09

Back to discipline which begins at home, not at school. At school is where it continues. Respect for the teachers, they are only trying to do their job. But by the way we are heading there will ne no young people interested in teaching. Who wants to teach an unruly class where teacher is afraid for reprisals? I always respected my teacher, police officer etc. My children are always respectful, as are my grandchildren. I hope this continues. My granddaughter is now 21 and when she asked if she could celebrate her birthday at my flat, I saw no reason in saying no. I had her girlfriends and boyfriend here. We were with 7 for dinner. I do occasionally say "no" to some suggestions, but there must be a good reason for me saying "no". I have a very good relationship with my granddaughter and her boyfriend who are still at school. On the other hand, my grandson of 18 years I refuse to give money to because he smokes. If he gives up smoking, then he will receive money to go on holiday. It doesn't stop him loving me, in fact he respects my wishes.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 18 Apr 2004 21:18

Thats the sort of question Socrates and Plato were asking, not to mention Shakespeare. Len

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Apr 2004 21:52

I personally dread to think the type of world i am bringing my chidren into, they are 2 and 4. The youngest born just before 9/11, I sat and watched the news coverage and thought 'what have i let you in for'. My 4 yr old worries that no one likes her, that she hasnt got enough Barbies to impress her friends, materialistic i know, but that is unfortunately the way children think now. Without sounding snobby I am glad she goes to an Independant school, where they all have to have the same coats, shoes etc, so there is no outdoing each other in the fashion stakes later on. Children are growing up too fast now, the things I see them do is stuff i wouldnt have done till at least the age of 11. I think the thread about 'Common sense' sums it up really, it just doesnt exist anymore.