General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Speedway

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 18 Apr 2004 19:02

Who remembers the days of Speedway? I used to support the Wembley Lions. I remember red and white rattle, hat and scarf which I had knitted. I must have looked a real ninny. I travelled all over the place to see them ride. I also used to go to Wembley to see ice-hockey matches, more or less because I knew a boy who worked there and he used to ring me up and say that he had complimentary tickets for the match. If I remember correctly it was a Thursday evening, or was that speedway? I think it is a dreadful shame that they are going (or have done) to pull down Wembley Stadium. So many memories. From my house I could hear the roar of the crowd on Cup Final Day.

quantum

quantum Report 18 Apr 2004 19:13

Hello Sylvia, There was a speedway not far from where i used to live, my sister had a large wooden rattle, I think she has still got it. I am talking about Birmingham Speedway, Great Barr, It was our Saturday night entertainment, we would shout, UP THE BRUMMIES, over and over again, it was great fun, the colours were red and yellow, then it was fish and chips and home. All good clean enjoyable fun Janet

syljo

syljo Report 18 Apr 2004 19:21

Yes, it was good clean fun - hooligans hadn't been invented then. Sylvia.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Apr 2004 22:51

West Ham stadium, in Custom House, speedway, I think tuesdays, and dog racing on mondays and thursdays(i think)

Debbie

Debbie Report 18 Apr 2004 23:07

Im not being funny but on another thread Syl was being accused of being racist. and now on this one, and also another thread people are moaning about her, please can some one tell me what she said to upset so many people. I have been busy decorating and have missed what has been happening. Debbie

Michelle

Michelle Report 19 Apr 2004 00:03

Being called an idiot is polite in your book is it? Or did you not read her comments before she deleted them? If you don't want to drag it up, why say anything at all, never heard of email. M.

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Apr 2004 00:38

Morfydd and Karen....never a truer word .....she ought to be Oostened outa here for her extreme bad manners and tasteless comments. Sorry I don't usually make comments myself but found her other threads very offensive against all the wonderful people on here who go out of their way to be very helpful and extremely polite. Lynn

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Apr 2004 12:25

While I personally am not against tongue in cheek humour some peple are very sensitive to other peoples remarks.I feel that any remark even if made in jest in any way, shape, or form so as to antagonise any member should not be posted.Maybe our tongues should be kept inside our own cheeks.nuff said....Sorry not very grammatically correct Lynn

syljo

syljo Report 19 Apr 2004 17:27

"Yes, I remember it well", or so goes the theme, travelling to Birmingham, West Ham, Bradford, all to watch Speedway. Today I would say "waste of money". How we change with the years?