General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passport- How long does it take???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 18 Apr 2004 22:14

Hi All, I need to apply for a Passport. I have never had one before. After I have filled in everything and sent off does anyone know how long is average time to receive. I won't be using it until later in year. Many thanks, Sandra

Rosi Glow

Rosi Glow Report 18 Apr 2004 22:17

At this time of the year not long, two weeks. I have just had mine updated and it was back in less than 14 days Rosie

Sandra

Sandra Report 18 Apr 2004 23:10

Thanks Rosie. I am a bit scared actually. Me and my two sisters are planning to visit our other sister in New Zealand. Two of us have never flown before. I am the eldest and nearly 61 so this will be the chance of a lifetime for me. My Husband died 7 yrs ago and being retired on a pension now, it's do or die. (well hope not). Sandra

Eileen

Eileen Report 19 Apr 2004 00:29

hi sandra i just applied for a first passport and a man delievered it to my door less than 14 days later. so not that long to wait eileen glasgow

Bob

Bob Report 19 Apr 2004 00:37

Sandra Make sure you carefully check the documents you send as they are really fussy now (good thing too) Also when you go take the advice about DVT (support stockings exercise etc). Take plenty to read etc as it is REALLY boring once you are up there. Also make contact with some of the NZ members they will be pleased to give you any help they can I am sure Have a wonderful time Bob

Rosi Glow

Rosi Glow Report 19 Apr 2004 00:57

Oh Sandra You will love it, I too flew to Auckland a few years ago and plan to go back in 2006 for my brother-in-laws 50th birthday party, dont be afraid you will be fine, they really looked after us on the areoplane when we went (with a three year old I was dreading the journey but it turned out fine, she slept most of the way) If you feel a bit aprehensive (like I did) when you get on the airoplane have a word with the stewardess and tell them you have never flown before they will even sit with you and explain anything you may ask, they are there to help and make the trip as enjoyable as possible, yes its a long time sitting & boring at times but take plenty of reading books, playing cards ect, watch the films, and dont forget to exersise or move your legs about every hour or so, drink plenty of water throughout your journey if you can, and just enjoy the experience, its a fantastic place and I cant wait to go back. I know you will love it. Rosie

Helene

Helene Report 19 Apr 2004 04:19

Hi Sandra, go to a "health shop' and ask for rescue remedy its calms the nerves. People here give it to cats before a cat show, and swear by it. Mags (NZ) xx

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Apr 2004 08:14

Thanks so much everybody. I feel better already. Must make a list from all your advice Rescue Remedy, Support stockings(flight stockings). Drink lots of water and move around at least every hour. (I must admit DVT is the one thing I do worry about). I remember the A Team on television where they used to knock him out before a flight as he was scared. I could do with that. I shall print off all your replies and put it on my Board so I don't forget. My sister used to live in Wanganui but now has moved back to Auckland to be near my niece and her two babies. Thankyou all again, Sandra xxx

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 19 Apr 2004 08:22

I think you will find the passport will be delivered by a courier. I was amazed to answer a ring on my Mum-in-law's doorbell with a man who just said "Passport". I gave him a strange look - he showed me the envelope, and he had the wrong street! I did wonder if Mum-in-law was secretly off to spend her savings without telling us. At almost 87 I don't think she would do that!!!! (They always used to come by post but I suppose it is more secure to hand deliver them.) Have a wonderful trip.