General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Terry's of YORK ( choc Oranges )

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 19 Apr 2004 13:46

Well there goes another era.Terry's of York confirmed closure within next 12 months.we knew it was on the cards but still not going to be the same ....Terry's of York Chocolate oranges made abroad.!!!! First Terry's factory was 1767 ...nice box of chocs 1767 were.moved to present premises in 1925 There goes some of my family history..my Grandmother worked there until her retirement...and my mother worked in the offices there. And now my partner works there. Just needed to spout off We still call it Terry's but it is actually Kraft foods..!!!

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Apr 2004 13:51

Jan we had same thing here recently after many many yrs Paynes Poppets has closed theirs doors too. I never worked there but know plenty who did, really is the end of the line me thinks!!!!! Shell

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 19 Apr 2004 13:53

What a shame. I bet it wont taste the same now. Shelli I remember that factory well. I was offered a job there once but decided me locked in a building with chocolate wasn't a good idea lol

Brenda

Brenda Report 19 Apr 2004 14:06

What a shame,never used to like terrys ,thought they were to bitter ,even the dairy chocolate,but don't your tatses buds change ?Have started to buy it more often,but I suppose it is too little too late.

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 19 Apr 2004 14:11

It just seems most places are shutting and sending work over seas these days. Other half will have to start job hunting although he isn't directly employed by Kraft Seems sad that mum and gran worked there and it could now poss become some extension of the race course know the council would like to have it.A little bird mentioned that to us 2 yrs ago Just hope it aint more housing !! Had my moan now and feel better Thanks Jan

Bob

Bob Report 19 Apr 2004 14:21

Do you think I should keep the choc orange I have got in the hope that it will become valuable one day? It's so sad when this happens. I wonder if there will be anything made in England at all soon?

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 19 Apr 2004 14:31

It seems to be the same all over. My husband is to be made redundant this year from Melrose's tea, which has been in operation in Edinburgh for over 100 years. It's sad to see all these old companies go under.

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Apr 2004 15:15

oh no - gutted now :-(((

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 19 Apr 2004 15:48

Hi Jan Thought about you both when I heard on the tv at dinnertime Bren

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 19 Apr 2004 16:36

Bren Thanks Poland are to get choc oranges Belgium -Choc liquor Sweden-All Gold Slovakia-Twilight , Segsations , Choc orange bar Well that is acoording to front page of press Factory to shut second half of next year( which is what we had heard on grape vine last year ) Jan

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Apr 2004 16:38

Jan sorry to hear about the closure of Terry's of York. Hope Del is able to secure another job really quick. As you say the factory has played a very big part in your families history. no doubt many in the community are sad, not just for the loss of their jobs, but that yet another part of their heritage is to be phased out. Terri and ray xx reading your latest message, as to what Country is to produce what. It would seem its not just the choc oranges that will be in segments.