General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who remembers going 'HOPPING'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gloria

Gloria Report 19 Apr 2004 17:45

How many of you out there remember the great times we kids from the east end had when we went hopping? I can still recall the excitement of loading up the lorry with all our furniture for our 'hut', and then heading off to the Blackwall Tunnel then onto Youldin in Kent. Have very fond memories of those days.

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 19 Apr 2004 18:11

Oh! Gloria, I do. Bit different though. My mother's best friend lived in Ashford in Kent and we would go and stay with her for a week or two and pick the hops. Can remember the smell of them so well. Hated it. However, loved the 'holiday' even though it was hard work. Pulling those vines down from the ties and picking off the hops. Seemed for ever before there was a bushel. Those were the days. At the end of the day so tired but slept very well. Jean x.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Apr 2004 10:16

Gloria, Yep, I just about remember the trek, all you took with you, were basics, There was no room for any thing else...no microwaves, dishwashers, videos, or even telly's. LOL.. I wonder how we could do it, nowadays?.......We were picking, and at weekends, my uncles would come down for some fishing....I think health and safety would have few words to say, today! But i dont recall any one being seriously ill, Unless they fell out of a tree or got chased by a bull!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Apr 2004 10:49

I remember hopping in Yaulding, Kent - it was work but also a holiday. Nan used to take some rolls of discarded wallpaper to tart up the walls in your one star shack, but to us kids it felt like 5 star luxury Oh thoughs were the days Lin

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Apr 2004 21:13

Sorry folks, You were close, but it is "Yalding" in Kent.........

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 20 Apr 2004 22:19

Sorry Bob but we said 'Oppin' and Yordin' where I came from! Roger In Sussex

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Apr 2004 23:23

Roger, quite so! BUT this is where enumerators went wrong.....They writ wot thay erd!