General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Milk and different colour bottle tops

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 19 Apr 2004 20:04

Do some of you older ones remember the coloured bottle tops on milk? There was Jersey milk with a gold-coloured top, a very rich golden-creamy milk, then mauve-top which was homogenized, red-top, but cannot remember what this was called. Then the ordinary milk. I used to help the milkman, or rather milklady, so used to handle these bottles of milk. Sometimes I'd get to the top of a block of flats with a crate of milk and I'd get sent down for a packet of butter or suchlike. They had no lifts in these particular blocks of flats. What we did to earn a penny or two!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Apr 2004 20:53

Sylvia, when i was young, I too helped the milkman, and as you say many buildings didnt have lifts, and when i reached the top, sometimes i was so out of breath, that my eyes were not steady at all, in fact i used to see milk bottles, at eye level. Some were sterilised, and others were "past yer eyes" milk Bob

Hayley

Hayley Report 20 Apr 2004 12:21

Silver top is full fat, and red is skimmed, i cant remember the colour of semi skimmed though