General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Get it out of my system... lol

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Apr 2004 23:22

Hubby and I are making plans for a holiday with our caravan and I just hapened to mention there was a place for tourers in the village where my ancestors were born, lived, and died. As it is on the way(well almost) to where we are ultimately going he said we could stay there for a few days so I could visit graveyards and churches etc then hopefully I would " get it out of my system " he said with a laugh. ..... anyone else been on a genealogy break?

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 Apr 2004 23:28

YES ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO I FOUND A LOVELY GUY CALLED KEVIN WHO SHARED THE SAME GGGGRANDFATHER. WE WERE ON A CAMPING HOLIDAY FOR HE WEEK. NEAR KEVINS HOUSE. KEVIN AND HIS WIFE INVITED MY SELF, MY HUSBAND AND FOUR CHILDREN TO HIS HOUSE KEVIN TOOK TWO DAYS OF WORK AND TOOK ME ALL AROUND THE LOCAL CEMETRIES AND GENEOLOGY CENTRES WHILE HIS WIFE JACKIE FED AND WATERED US FOR TWO DAYS. WHAT A LOVELY FAMILY. SARAH

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 Apr 2004 23:29

BY THE WAY IT NEVER GOT IT OUT OF MY SYSTEM (HA HA) SARAH

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 19 Apr 2004 23:30

lynn this is a very sore point with me at the mo... we have just been on two week break to devon. And although we didn't stay anywhere near places where my ancestors were born, we did go within a mile of a village where several were born raised and married and had their children. I begged, pleaded, cried and even stamped my feet but would the b****r detour by that one mile????????????? would he heck!!!! I just wanted to see the village that would've been sufficent, and it's too far for me to go in a day trip, oh and we also went within a couple of miles of a second village which we also didn't see. Shelli P.S. we even passed the same two villages on the way home without the detour!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn

Lynn Report 19 Apr 2004 23:43

Hi all,Well I know that I am lucky as we could drive there just for a day trip but to spend a few days there is going to be wonderful.I am sitting here even now sniggering to myself if he thinks for one moment it will "Get it out of my system".Only for the fact he is in bed now and dont want to wake him up that I am not ROFLOL. Lynn

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Apr 2004 13:39

My mum, sister and I stayed in Suffolk 3 years ago - just to look at local records and (note: no males!) see where the ancestors had lived We stayed at Baynham House Rare Breeds Farm, so could wander round the place as and when we liked talking to the animals. Set aside a certain amount of time to look at records (my sister's not into genealogy) and spent the rest of the time driving around Suffolk. It's a great way to see different parts of the country - and there's even the excuse that it has a purpose!

Jane

Jane Report 20 Apr 2004 13:43

Every oppotunity I get I like to go somewhere where even one ancestor lived. I even managed to go with the neighbours son to Shrewsbury a couple of years ago when he was going for a meeting for work. Amazing how much you get done in a day at a record office! Jane

Philip

Philip Report 20 Apr 2004 14:23

You don't ever really get it out of your system. I got the bug many years ago from an aunt, who had jotted down hundreds of family details on the back of a set of cricket scoring cards from her local village club in 1952! (The cards, I mean.) Anyway, one of her sons and I have always since had the bug, so swap details from time to time. He seems to do the forward thing, picking up details from the births columns of the national dailys etc, while I am more interested in researching the ancestors. Yes, I've had one or two genealogy breaks in my time. I remember driving down to Kenilworth on one occasion to hunt some details of my paternal ggmum's family in the early to mid 19th century. Visited the parish church, where some were buried, and found one or two others my aunt had not known about. Then went over to the county records office in Warwick, and discovered a whole family generation. Quite amazing - the parents married in the 1840s, had eight children over the next decade, kept a "high class" grocery shop in Kworth in the later part of the century, and were still settled there after the first world war. Solid "respectable" burgers, pillars of the parish church, churchwarden etc. Wall plaque and eagle lectern left in memory of two sons killed in the war, one on the western front, the other fighting the Turks in Palestine. The last thing I did before leaving town was to look up the family name in the local telephone directory. Not a single one left. Just like Ecclesiastes, had come and gone like the wind, and no trace of them left behind. Very sad. Anyway, enough rabbiting about that occasion. On another, when I worked in the Ashton under Lyne area, I visited the town cemetery to hunt another branch. A hot summer day, just two people wandering round looking at graves. me and an elderly gentleman. Fell into conversation, and found he had driven all the way up from Hastings to look for his ancestors. He grew up in Ashton in the early 1900s, was the local doctor's son, and recalled going to birthday parties with the three children of the local vicarage - my father and my two aunts. Talk about coincidences! If either of us had not been in that place at that time etc, etc..... Another coincidence was when I was visiting a former sister in law and husband, when they had some friends ex-Rhodesia from Botswana staying with them. Fell into conversation with the Rhodesian husband, and found that his mother and mine were best friends, slept in adjacent beds etc when they were shipped off, as all kids were in those days, to some up-country boarding school in Rhodesia in the mid 1920s, some 60 years before! Enough, enough. Do insist on the breaks, you won't ever get the bug out of the system. Good hunting, Philip

Sandi

Sandi Report 20 Apr 2004 15:34

You mean that there are OTHER sorts of holidays???!!!???

BrianW

BrianW Report 20 Apr 2004 15:53

Went down to Kent for a week last year, spent an afternoon in Canterbury Cathedral archives and also found and went for a drink at the inn where great grandad was lodging when the 1881 census was taken. And had a look at the church and village where the great, great, greats hung out around 1800. Didn't finish, solved some puzzles but found some questions. We'll be back!

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 20 Apr 2004 18:00

Karen, I would like to see him try to stop you !!! heheheh Maz. XX

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 20 Apr 2004 19:08

Last May, took myself, and only me, off to Durham, for a week. Fantastic time, and to be honest, I don't think I would have had such a good time if some one else had gone with me. Stayed in the Bay Horse in Wolsingham (highly recommend, as food is brill) everyone made me so welcome. Did Cemertries and villages at my own leisure, and the records office in Durham was, well what can I say! Planning another trip (on own again!) in July, hopefully, well probably! :-))))))) Kim