General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mixed wards in hospitals - yes or no?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 20 Apr 2004 15:53

I'm a bit out of touch with Great Britain when it comes to hospitals, but here in the Netherlands they have mixed wards. By mixed to be explicit I mean men and women!! I am by no means "old-fashioned" but I don't like men in the same ward as me. We "girls" don't have the same conversation. And the nurses always seem to leave a large gap in the curtain between the beds. Very mind boggling for some! What do you think?

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 20 Apr 2004 15:58

I think if I was dangerously ill and it was the only way I could receive treatment, I don't think I'd give a damn. Norah

syljo

syljo Report 20 Apr 2004 16:07

Norah, Yes I would agree. If you're dangerously ill you have no option. But given the choice??? Personally I prefer a room alone. Then I can choose to visit others if I wish

Natalie

Natalie Report 20 Apr 2004 16:51

NO Men are smelly lol

Marjorie

Marjorie Report 20 Apr 2004 16:53

I was in a mixed cardiac ward in a London hospital 24 years or so ago. At that time there were far more male heart patients than female, so if there were free beds in the female ward they just filled them with men. In fact I had male patients in the beds on either side of me. I cannot say that it bothered me too much, but then I was only in my early 40's then.