General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SUPERSTITIONS AND YOU!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 20 Apr 2004 23:26

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 20 Apr 2004 23:28

Are you................... Do you have any.................. Which is your favourite (if any)....................... I'm not, and yet I never put new shoes on a table-top!!!!!! Norah

Sue

Sue Report 20 Apr 2004 23:41

Hello Norah I'm not either.......but I never put new shoes on the table! LOL When I was at school, if we saw an ambulance, we held our collar until we saw a dog! Bizarre! Any one else heard of this one? My mother-in-law refuses to have lilac flowers in her house. She also won't wear green as she thinks it's unlucky. My going away suit was green and M-i-L was horrified! Thought the marriage was doomed. Still together 36 years later! Sue

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 20 Apr 2004 23:46

Sue Yes we used to do the ambulance/dog thing. Also never standing on the cracks in the pavement. That was in the old days when they used flag stones! Jeanette

Lynn

Lynn Report 21 Apr 2004 00:04

Even now if I bang an elbow on anything I have to hit the other one as well Always salute to a lone magpie Never open and umbrella indoors Never put shoes on the table Lynn

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 21 Apr 2004 00:39

no shoes on the table no brollies up in the house salt over the shoulder get someone else to pick up knife or glove if you drop it don't cross 2 roads at once (i.e. across the middle of a cross-roads) all from my mum and I expect her mum, who I think was afraid of her own shadow! Maz. XX sure there are more but too tired to think!

Gem in Wakefield

Gem in Wakefield Report 21 Apr 2004 01:21

Hi I've got a book about superstitions, the ambulance/collar superstition had a rhyme to it. Touch Collar, Never Swallow, Never get the fever. Touch your nose, touch your toes never go in one of those. Something to do with not getting diptheria. My superstitions are never walk under ladders, new shoes on a table, and opening umbrellas indoors. Gem

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 21 Apr 2004 02:00

I'm terrible with superstitions. I always salute one magpie, never pick up a knife I've dropped by myself, throw spilled salt over my shoulder, and still say the rhyme when I see an ambulance, Touch my head, touch my knee, thank God, it wasn't me! And if I put a jumper on inside out , it has to stay like that all day.

Susan

Susan Report 21 Apr 2004 06:17

I won't walk under a ladder and I hate Friday 13th. Sue

Trish

Trish Report 21 Apr 2004 08:57

I never have peacock feathers in the house.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Apr 2004 09:36

Nowadays I don't believe that salt, umbrellas, pavements etc. are going to have any bearing on what happens to me but when I was about 5, at infant school, a classmate told me that if I looked in the mirror when it was dark, the reflection would jump out and chase me. It was YEARS before I would risk it.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 21 Apr 2004 10:34

I can proudly say i'm not superstitious at all. I was born on Friday the 13th. But I wont walk under a ladder if someone has paint on the top of it, I like highlights....but not that much ! LOL ! Elaine :o))