General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Locked churches at Easter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 20 Apr 2004 23:44

Hi Everyone, Just returned from holidays in Yorkshire - lovely part of the country. On Easter Sunday afternoon, my husband and I were investigating various graveyards looking for some of his rellies who I have traced back to Monk Fryston/Garforth areas. It would have been good to be able to enter the churches that his ancestors no doubt worshipped in over 150 years ago, but every single one was locked, and even padlocked in some cases! What a sad reflection on society today, that even on Easter Sunday, places of worship have to go to such extremes to protect their buildings. What do others think? Pauline back in foggy wet Cornwall

Dedrah

Dedrah Report 21 Apr 2004 06:16

Hi Pauline, I agree with you, however to have a church open means that someone needs to be there whilst it is open, this is a terrible reflection on our society today, when people can't even be trusted to go in a church without doing some damage or stealing from it. Even when there are people in them you still get opportunist thieves that will go, in be all friendly and then try to steal a handbag, after being shown hospitality. yours Dee from near Chorley.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Apr 2004 08:36

Visiting Herefordshire last year at springtime was just lovely and part of that was because we did get the chance to go in the churches and for example, touch the font where generations of my mother's family were christened.... Near here,(south east Kent) our church has just recently had to say that enough was enough when it came to vandalism and is now locked when nobody is available to man it. We have many tourists so do try to make the church more available, but 'Yes' it is a sad reflection on society today.

Philip

Philip Report 21 Apr 2004 12:50

Hello, Pauline. Yes, I agree with you, it's a great pity when churches have to be kept locked, but it's a sign of the times etc. We moved down to Devon in 2001 at the height of foot & mouth, and I remember seeing a Sunday paper photo of the village church where we were due to move being locked and unused over Easter, as it was being used to store the carcases of dead animals. Our village, with 3 main farms, lost over 3000 cattle through culling. What a great pity. Philip

Philip

Philip Report 21 Apr 2004 12:52

Sorry, better make it clear, not the church itself being used for storage, the large barn across the street. Same effect, though, the church had to remian closed over Easter to prevent any spread of infection. Philip