General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Victorian Niaevity?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Abigail

Abigail Report 21 Apr 2004 10:19

How on earth do you spell that word? In the old parish records of 1842 in scotland there is an entry for my great great great grandfather registering the birth of his first child. March 30th 1842 John Henderson...had a daughter named Jane then a later entry a couple of pages later: March 20th 1842 John Henderson...had a daughter (crossed out and "son" written in above)... named Jane (crossed out and "John" written in above). Any guesses from the more experienced researches out there. When I approached the supervisor in the microfilm room he just looked and laughed. He never actually said a word to explain! Confusedly Abigail

Abigail

Abigail Report 21 Apr 2004 10:44

Sorry I am trying to move this to the tips board!

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2004 10:49

maybe it was just a really pretty baby lol it's spelt naivety I think...

Abigail

Abigail Report 21 Apr 2004 10:54

It wouldn't surprise me!!! My brother's (red curly haired twins) were always being mistaken for girls and I was mistaken for a boy at the age of ten, when I was presenting the Lady Mayoress with flowers at a charity fair. Perhaps it is just our family!!! Abigail

Bob

Bob Report 21 Apr 2004 10:54

I think, even today, the sex of a new born is not always obvious especially if they are premature. If the baby's genitals were not developed then it would be easy to make a mistake. 17 years ago when my daughter was born the midwife said "congratulations it's a boy.... errr sorry its a girl." Bob

Abigail

Abigail Report 21 Apr 2004 10:59

Thanks Bob. I think I will look for the death certificate or record of this baby because I was surprised that this couple married in 1841 as later records (censuses) show no children born before 1847.