General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

down under.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 21 Apr 2004 20:09

Oz is the place where i would love to live one day with my family. But having no family out there and not being loaded i dont think there would be much chance me a humble council worker (HARD WORKER) my wife a nursery nurse (HARD WORKER)where not over qualified for that. And would i miss the uk not now the uk has gone to the dogs. Where i live you have more chance off kissing the queens butt then you have of seeing a copper if any one from oz is reading this then please let me know what life down under is like and yes i know its not all roses or is it??

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 22 Apr 2004 02:13

Dear Michael I to have no family out in Oz but spent a month out there mid-November to Mid-December last year. What a wonderful place, spotlessly clean, friendly people and great scenery. We toured and did all the right hand side of Oz plus the middle. The Barrier Reef was incredible as was Heron Island (Paradise - could only afford 2 days there). Would be a place I would consider living most definitely. I have been to USA, Canada, Spain, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malta, France etc and OZ comes out the tops.

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 22 Apr 2004 02:27

Hi Di Yes, did go to Vancouver. Buzz of nightlife most definitely. Went to Victoria Island too. Drove through the Rockies and walked the glacier in shorts and sandals!!! Like Canada but not as much as OZ.

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 23 Apr 2004 01:20

Michael, we have spoken already, I too have visited and lived in many countries since 1952, and have been happy in several countries, every country has something to offer, Environment, welfare, Medical, employment opportunities, Housing, etc. Many have crime at various levels. I have admired Canada as a great place to live and settle down, and not so far from the UK that you cant pop back and visit. I finally picked on NZ as the best country to live, based on reports, and video. So I moved to NZ in 55, and indeed it is a beautiful country to live in, and the people have a Caring attitude second to none, I was sheilded from the employment situation as I was in the Air Force, and everything was great. but when I left the Airforce and joined the general workforce, I found an imbalance between the Laid back attitude of (She'll be right) and the strive for efficiency and advancement. My tax rates were too high, I was paying for the large families of the unemployed, and the Welfare State. so it wasnt a fair Go for everyone. I saw Engineers in my Aviation trade getting paid twice as much in Australia, and paying less tax. So I moved to Australia in 78. Australia was great, I worked at the Airports in Sydney, The shopping was second to none, Housing was dearer than NZ. but I was very well paid, Sydney is a great place to live, as long as you keep out of the bad areas, typical of all big Cities. living costs are higher than smaller cities. Many beautiful places to go from Sydney, Blue Mountains, many beaches, if you like beaches, 11,000 in Australia. Today, things have changed a bit, In Sydney, more crime due in part, to Drugs,high Ethnic Populations, etc. The same goes for most cities in Australia, If you have a Skill that can fit you into most communities, then you can always find a place to live in Australia, that has the right environment, friendly people, and a great place to bring up kids. Since I left NZ, they have improved their outlook, Tax is not such a big problem for skilled engineers, The welfare/ medical system is still good. I think its better than Australia. NZ Military attitude has changed in line with their Caring for people attitude. No Agression toward other countries, etc. I plan to finally retire to NZ, as many Kiwi's do. I can expand on any areas I havnt covered, by E-Mail. dont want to upset Kiwi's or Aussies.

Keith

Keith Report 23 Apr 2004 03:08

Hi Michael, Oz is a wonderful place, or it is as far as my wife and I are concerned. We migrated from the UK in 1977. Whilst it has been good for us, it's not all gloss. As with any country, it is what you are prepared to make of it. If you are genuinely interested in coming out here, why not write to Australia House in London and enquire what would be needed for you to be accepted as a migrant. I don't know if it is still the case, but at one time it was fairly easy to migrate to New Zealand. Once you became a N.Z. citizen there were no restrictions on migration to Oz. Any way it's food for thought. I wish you all the best, all countries need good workers. Keith from sunny Cairns, Australia.

Cindy

Cindy Report 23 Apr 2004 04:00

Hi Michael, I am an Aussie. My hubby is English an emigrated from the UK in October 2001. I was the only person he knew here. He has adjusted really well and really considers Australia to be 'home'. He tells me that the weather in Melbourne is similar to England, and from our brief visit to the UK in October 2003, I have to agree. When he emigrated he did his paperwork through a broker. He said it was too much of a nightmare to do by himself. You need to get 100 points to qualify for residency I believe. He is a mechanical engineer, so he got lots of points for that. He initially came here on a 12-month working holiday visa. Maybe you and your family could at least come for a visit and decide if you like it here ? We have had a few of my hubby's friends come to stay, and they all LOVE it here. They have all done the back-packing thing and seen more of Oz than even I have. One frien was literally here for a day and had decided that if not for his close family back home, he would emigrate without a second thought. Once your paperwork is accepted by the Adelaide processing office, it can take up to a year to be accepted. So, if you are serious about emigrating I suggest that you find out as much info as you can, and begin the process as early as possible to allow for processing delays. Try this link for info: http://www.immi.gov.au Hope that helps. Good luck !! Cindy