General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have any of you got your children interested in th

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Apr 2004 13:29

Two of my sons are 10 and 11,I'm hoping when they get older ,that they'll be so interested they can help out with the research but I've got to make it interesting for them now!I have a wall in the dining room filled with photos of ancestors,they know who they all are now.I had a really nice moment a couple of weeks ago when someone kindly did some 1891 census look-ups for me.My 11 year old,Jordan happened to be in the room as the image was coming up.He watched it with me and I pointed to this name Elizabeth on the screen,then pointed to one of the photos and told him they were the same person,his g.g.g.g.grandma. Last year I found out something about my g.g.g.grandfather,he seemed a really good man and did a lot for the community.Jordan said he hoped he had a lot of his genes! My hubby isn't very interested at all,even when I find things out about his family. Wendy

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2004 13:30

My son isn't at all interested as yet, but then he's a couple of months short of 2 so it's not susprising lol

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 22 Apr 2004 13:33

My 15 year old nephew is quite interested. He is now walking around with Army Dog Tags with his g.g.grandfathers details on then. When he gets the of 5 done from Great Uncles I really hope he stays in when the wind blows or he'll get beaten to death by them lol

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 22 Apr 2004 16:05

Not my Son's but my Nephew is very interested so has all my info and keeps adding his wife's side, at least I am not doing this in vain!!!! Ann

Janice

Janice Report 22 Apr 2004 16:21

When my boys were small we used to have days out at St Catherine's House. The older one loved lifting the big, heavy books and looking for names; the younger one used to sit under the tables guarding the coats, with his nose in a book (or two!!). Can't believe I did it now!! LOL The older one is now 24 and still shows an interest in what I find out - especially when a brickwall starts to crumble! He is also happy to put new data into my family history programme on the computer. Janice

Jane

Jane Report 22 Apr 2004 17:04

My twin daughters of 29 tell me to get a life! One of my grand daughters is slightly interested but the other one not at all - they are both 10. So maybe it's like any subject - you either like it or not. Jane

Shelley

Shelley Report 22 Apr 2004 18:11

Hi Im only 22 and i only got into this through my Aunty whos been researching our family history for my cousin and her son Thomas( Thomas is 8) he was asked to start a family tree for his school home work so my aunty has been researching for like 10 months.Now Shes got me on board and ive found so much information my dads even got involved which i never thought would happen! Infact since we all started researching we have all become closer so im really glad we started it now Anyway Good luck with your own family researching Shelley xxx

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 23 Apr 2004 11:36

My 40 year old son is interested and has worked on his wife's tree. We are devising a plan for me to take my mobile, when I pop off, and for me to do a bit of research from the other side. Len ps. Please form an orderly queue.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2004 11:54

My two girls weren't remotely interested, even when I showed them the press cutting about their gX7 grandfather reputedly being the fattest man in England! They knew they were GG grandchildren of Kitty O'Shea and Charles Parnell on their father's side (which I haven't researched), but this had no effect. The youngest is now at University in Brighton. When she mentioned to an Irish tutor that she was a descendent of Parnell, she couldn' believe his reaction! The man was bragging to everyone that he was teaching a real Parnell, even though her surname is Tanner! Her Grandmother was the illegitimate daughter of a Parnell daughter, who married a Tanner, and I married their son She has now traipsed around Brighton finding the houses they lived in, and is asking me how she can find out more.