General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New to this site.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Becky

Becky Report 23 Apr 2004 12:07

Hello, I am new to this site, but over the last few days have been reading the various boards and messages etc. I am 23 years old and know very little about my family past. I am at the moment trying to find out any information i can from my relatives, but want to know how i get started. You all sound like you have been doing this for a while, so would be keen to get your comments?? I have read the notes on the past lives etc?? This really interests me, Pam, how do you comunicate with people on paper?? Look forward to receiving your messages, Regards, Becky xxx

Samantha

Samantha Report 23 Apr 2004 12:13

hi, & welcome to this site - i am a newbie ish too - i started on good friday (however long ago that was!) there are a really nice bunch of people on here always willing to help out good luck in your search sam

Becky

Becky Report 23 Apr 2004 12:15

Thanks for replying. I have been on the friends reunited site for a while, but only just put myself on the Genesconnected page!! Hope i can find out some stuff. Becky x

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Apr 2004 12:16

Hi, If you look down the list of links on the left hand side you'll find one that says reseource centre... within that you'll find a "beginners guide"... have a look at that it may give you some tips.

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 23 Apr 2004 12:34

welcome to the site, have fun x jo

Jane

Jane Report 23 Apr 2004 12:39

I'm not new to family history but new to this site. I am enjoying reading all the comments and I have even helped look in the GRO indexes at my local library for a couple of people - I never mind if it's only for a few years. I will warn you though that it gets to more of an obsession than a hobby! But it is great fun and you meet lovely people along the way. Jane

Debbie

Debbie Report 23 Apr 2004 13:38

Hi Rebecca Welcome to the site. there are just so many wonderful people here so friendly and willing to help. And I would love to know how to communicate through pen and paper. I will admit I tried it yesterday I asked a question and nothing happened. Anyway good luck and have fun researching. And when you do find out about the paper and pen please let me know. Debbie

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Apr 2004 16:46

Welcome Rebecca, I'm a new girl too as of this week. I had loads of really kind messages and everyone seems so nice. I found the site via FR and had a great time reading all the boards. However, I still haven't got round to doing what I joined for - searching for ancestors! I really will make a start soon ..... when I've read some more messages! Take care.

Becky

Becky Report 23 Apr 2004 16:49

Thanks for replying!! I know what you mean about the nice messages!! I ahve a feeling i am going o get hooked!! Love Becky xx

Geoff

Geoff Report 23 Apr 2004 20:38

No spittin'. no cussin', keep your feet off the seats and we'll get along juuust fine.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 23 Apr 2004 23:19

Hello Becky We all started out from much the same place. It sort of snowballs, though. Every day you find out something new - and in a few months you will be sounding like the rest of us. May I suggest visiting a newsagent and buying a copy of Practical Family History? It contains all sorts of useful advice for beginners. There are a couple of other monthly magazine but they tend to cater for the more experienced genealogists. I can send a couple of back copies if you are interested. If you are, click on my name above and send a direct message Happy hunting Len