General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is happening on the success board??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Russell

Russell Report 27 Apr 2004 22:17

I have just had a look at the success board - something I only do occasionally - and instead of reading uplifting stories about families being reunited and distant ancestors being found because of GC,, there is something else happening! Not very uplifting!!

Russell

Russell Report 27 Apr 2004 22:20

Lesley, can you explain?

Rach

Rach Report 27 Apr 2004 22:21

Hoaxes and nastiness basically A few of us have emailed the abuse manager as its just horrible... Hope ur ok Rach...x

Natalie

Natalie Report 27 Apr 2004 22:24

I can't believe some people would stoop so low and they've paid to join GC too -- I can't believe it Natalie

Dame

Dame Report 27 Apr 2004 22:27

Barb in Nowhere,Az. I'm really new to GC some people have just got nothing better to do than cause trouble, just have to ignore them and hope they go away the more we comment the more they have to say. Other than that this is a great site I'm having so much fun.

Russell

Russell Report 27 Apr 2004 22:27

I am not much wiser as to what started it, but I have emailed the abuse manager to remove all inappropriate messages from that board. I used to find that board a pleasure to read and it reflected very well on GC,,,now it gives a very bad impression to newcomers.

Ernest

Ernest Report 27 Apr 2004 22:40

Hi all, I have lodged a complaint with the abuse manager and requested that the contents should be cleaned up along with thelitter that is causing tjhe mess

Rach

Rach Report 27 Apr 2004 22:41

Do you think that the culprit has got the hint yet? Its turning into a right hate campaign! lol!

Patricia

Patricia Report 27 Apr 2004 23:11

Hi, it all started end of March with a Janet Mc intosh appealing for her son, Derek Adamson to get in touch, a few days later, someone claiming to be Derek started talking to Janet via the success board. I know I e.mailed Janet and suggested they go to a more private location to discuss their issues, however Janet insisted that Derek would only communicate via the success board, and then other messages started appearing...stupid cruel messages and so they have continued up to date! I have to say that I dont disbelieve Janet, I have it on good authority that she is registered on other sites as well looking for Derek, poor woman must be out of her mind, I think that she was the subject of a very cruel joke!!, She probably just posted her message on the same day that these idiots decided to check out the genes connected site, and they chose her to be the butt of their joke (unbelievable I know). Since then, some members, me included, have shown our shock, anger or distaste by replying to their stupid messages via the success board, however it just seems to be fuelling their simple minds into carrying on. Suppose the only answer is to ignore them!!, hard to do so though, I personallly feel very strongly about the whole issue!!

Russell

Russell Report 28 Apr 2004 06:54

The abuse manager has removed the nasty messages. I think that it would now be a good idea if we posted our success stories so that the front page of that board looks as it should!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Apr 2004 09:29

I didn't see any of this but we previously had trouble on what was then the members board. The culprits were obviously bored kids who were in their lunch breaks. We hopes that, now you have to be a full member to post anything, this wouldn't happen again. Tragic that people are so callous and have nothing better to do with their time - tragic for them and annoying for us. Ann Glos

Rach

Rach Report 28 Apr 2004 10:10

GC have emailed me and the msgs have been deleted.xx

Heather

Heather Report 28 Apr 2004 18:12

It seems we now have a Mr. Cheese playing silly beggars. Heather

Sheila

Sheila Report 28 Apr 2004 18:21

Hi Heather, Guess your right he's been on twice now, guess he didn,t get much homework :O) My suggestion to everyone is don't get involved, as soon as you click onto these messages you can see these people have only just registered and are messing about, you dont't want too know were he was born :O( Just ignore them and like a naughty child they may just stop. Lets just keep posting posative messages on these boards for the rest of the good members out there :O))) Best wishes Sheila

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 29 Apr 2004 02:26

I have been watching this startling revelation with interest and as Julie has now posted on my bulletin board on www.myfolks.co.uk I can really understand she is a victim of a hoax. When her 'supposed son' posted a message back to Julie saying he was happily married to @**@ I checked out all possibilities on 1837online and got nothing at all. Also checked electoral roll information for her son and daughter in law with their names and, again no results. There is something not quite right here. I had a lady contact me a couple of months ago who thought she was the victim of a hoaxer and with all she sent me I was able to prove the person contacting her was her daughter and that her daughter was causing all her grief. If anyone has any problems believing information they are receiving please contact me on joanalllan at my folks co uk or search for me on the net - you will find me easily - email me with all the details or ring - up to midnight - on 01454 615031 and I will do my best to help you.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Apr 2004 17:19

Well done Linda i too have contacted the abuse manager: As below: I am convinced, as are other members that the Kylie Smith who is posting on the success board, who it appears only joined today, is an imposter. she is hoping to cause trouble for Kylie Smith who joined the board in September, she has a large tree, The one who only joined today has only one, herself I assume. These aggravating and often upsetting messages are appearing after school time or in the lunch hour. Until GC was made members only on other boards we were plagued by them on the members (as it was then) board. please make the whole of GC members only, including the success story board. many thanks Ann Glos

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Apr 2004 17:31

kylie smyths message is back again!!! identical word for word as the last one:(