General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ay Up Duck

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 30 Apr 2004 03:41

Why, when I was living in a place called Kiveton Park which is the postcode Sheffield and yet I was born in Rotherham do I feel I speak like I came from the Nottingham/Debyshire areas. I have been mistaken as being from Lancashire and Yorkshire and, at times, people have said I speak like their mum (she came from Wales) and I don't have - most definitely - a welsh accent. God forbid, I haven't dropped into the Bristolian accent - nothing against it at all but I want to retain my roots and not become a different person becaue of where I live. I love my Britolian friends and love the way they speak and their little quirks but I am a Yorkshire woman through and through - in my head - and that is my way and always will be. When I am on telephone with cetain people I do pick up on their accents and tend to drop in with the way they speak but it is rare.

badger

badger Report 30 Apr 2004 06:33

Hi Joan. Well you know ,yorkshire is such a big county ,and there are many big towns that all have their own speech inflections so to speak,and if its a bit disconcerting ,to you ,how do you think it is for a foreigner like me, [from the north east?]I have the same sort of prob,s too, the accent varies from mackem,to geordie ,and the Berwick area which is a broad scottish ,and at times you get a bit confused. You are yorkshire ,and proud of it ,and that,s what,s important..I can think of a lot worse things to be.Denis.

Jane

Jane Report 30 Apr 2004 08:14

I was born in Lincoln then moved to Huntingdon later in life. Everyone used to take the mick of me for saying duck all the time. Now I live in Southport and don't feel quite so out of place but have noticed I have lost most of my Lincolnshire accent along the way. I only really notice it when I go 'home' and hear my family speak. But I love all the different accents we have.

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 30 Apr 2004 09:42

I remember many years ago when my wife and I were courting. We had a little tent on a site at Knaresborough and this guy who I had given some assistance to had camped close by, too close for a courting couple. My wife was using some hair spray and a thick Barnsley accent enquired " Hasta got sum gas 'i theear?" it must have been nearly 40 years ago but we still have a laugh about it. lol Dave

JillGr

JillGr Report 30 Apr 2004 11:44

Rubbish! 'ey up me duck is typical Nottingham!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 30 Apr 2004 12:04

'Ello me luvurrrr - from all us 'carrot crunchers' in the south-west!

Trish

Trish Report 30 Apr 2004 13:15

I grew up in High Wycombe and moved to Bristol in the late 70's and then a bit further south 5 years ago. People still know where I come from, I get some that call me a Londoner but I suppose that's close enough. I thought I'd lost my accent but obviously not.

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 1 May 2004 19:07

Duck is most definately from Stoke-on-Trent. Everyone says "ay up duck" or "tarar a bit duck". other favourites are pidge and shug (shoog) Pam