General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Vegetable oil

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 May 2004 18:49

Hi I was wondering if anybody could help me. over the last few months after eating certain things I have a real horrible taste in my mouth. I suddenly realised that it was vegetable oil. I couldnt eat things like oven chips or walkers beef and onion I even bought a ready made Salmon Sandwich and couldnt eat it as I felt sick. I just had a salad and afterwards I had to have something to get rid of the taste and then realised the pork pie had oil in it. This is really beginning to upset me now because I have to read packets. I have found oven chips made with Sunflower oil. which is good. And no I am not pregnant. But I have never had this problem before. Please help as I am now fed up. Debbie

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 1 May 2004 18:51

Debbie - For stir-fries etc. try using groundnut oil as it's virtually tasteless. It is higher in saturated fat than vegetable or sunflower but I don't use very much. Sheila

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 May 2004 18:54

Thanks Sheila I dont eat Stir Fries. I dont eat a lot of fried foods really at all. A fried egg now and again or mushrooms.

Angela

Angela Report 1 May 2004 19:02

Not sure if I have anything helpful to offer. It sounds to me like you've developed an intolerance to vegetable oil - not an allergy or I suspect the reaction would be more severe. I developed one to honey in my teens and have only just recently been able to cope with it again in very very small quantities and then only if mixed in with other things so the taste isn't too strong. That's 20 years on. I think that the only thing you can do is avoid vegetable oil and use other oils instead if you can - olive, groundnut, grapeseed etc - and hope it calms down over time. Doesn't help with processed foods unfortunately - I had the same thing with honey. Any product with the slightest amount in it I couldn't have as it made me feel sick. I had to shop very very carefully. If it gets any worse, or spreads to other foods, I would suggest speaking to your GP in case you need testing for allergies and dietary advice. Angela

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 May 2004 19:10

Angela I did think about going to the Doctor but I felt a bit silly, as I cannot describe the way it makes me feel. Thanks for your reply. I have never liked honey myself. Debbie

badger

badger Report 1 May 2004 20:39

i agree with Angela it,s probably nothing but needs checking,and if a doctor laughs at your concerns,he,or she, is a lousy docter.Denis.

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 May 2004 22:36

Thanks Denis I will book an appointment this week. Trouble is I havnt seen the Doctor for about 2 or 3 years, whenever I ring up now I always have to see the Nurse. Debbie

badger

badger Report 2 May 2004 07:47

That,s what you get for being so healthy[normally],you only get to see the second in command,.I have angina and notice that i can only use grape ,or olive oil for cooking ,any other sort brings on an attack ,so different sorts may have that effect on you too ,but for a different underlying reason.Keep us posted ,and take care Denis.

syljo

syljo Report 2 May 2004 10:15

Debbie, Olive oil is about the most healthy. I make my bread now using olive oil instead of butter. I would be careful with groundnut oil - remember lots of people are allergic to peanuts! and that is exactly what groundnuts are. They used to grow where I was in Africa. You could also use almond oil, walnut oil or sesame seed oil. Good luck. Let us know on this thread how you get on with the doctor - or nurse.

Crista

Crista Report 2 May 2004 10:34

Debbie, Some infections and drugs can alter the way food tastes. Are you on any new medications? Crista

Debbie

Debbie Report 2 May 2004 12:37

Sylvia I dont like all these different oils especialy not olive oil. I am just a plain simple food person and dont go in for different oils but I suppose now I will have to try different ones. Thanks Christa I have had a few bouts of water infections, and had medication but I think my problem started before that. And I have suffered with Cystitus quite a few times in the last few years. Anyway will let you know what the doctor says. Mind you I have been busy lately and probably keep putting the doctor off as I am not feeling ill. Thanks for all your help Debbie

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 2 May 2004 12:42

i'm the same debbie anything with it in turns my stomach and the taste stays :( dont know what to suggest tho apart from dont eat anything with it in or use sauces to disguise the taste jo x

Debbie

Debbie Report 2 May 2004 12:56

Joanne I am glad I am not the only one. Thats just it I cant diguise the taste. Salmon Sandwiches I bought the other day I put Cheese and onion crisps and loads of vinegar. But the taste was still there. I made my mum try them because I thought they were off. And she said there was nothing wrong with them that is when I checked the packet for Veg oil. But the amount of food that has it in is unbelievable. Oh well I will have to get used to it. Thanks Debbie

purplehaze

purplehaze Report 2 May 2004 13:02

im really funny like that, i think things taste or smell weird and everyone else says they r fine. its horrible an off putting jo

Debbie

Debbie Report 2 May 2004 13:06

Joanne Thats weird I am just like that I am always taking things out of the fridge and saying "ere do you think this smells a bit funny" and they always say no. I reckon we must have a very high taste and smell tolereance. Debbie