General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FOR TERRI MORROW.. LES WILLIAMS FINAL PART

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindy

Lindy Report 3 May 2004 00:24

Dear Anne, Because of my arthritic knees I found that I could no longer stand at my drawing board to print my family trees so I took to writing poetry and here is the tribute I wrote to my first Son whom we lost at the age of three. On the passing of my Son JOHN DOUGLAS WILLIAMS 1953-1956 They whom we borrow tarry awhile Then as a smoke ring are gone but not far For in a waterfall there is a Voice.....I listen From the birds a song...............I hear In the sun.. a glow.................I see and in a flower, a scent.............I smell All around in Nature are etiphaphs of sheer beauty... and I touch. Nature gives and then reclaims, But in the myriad spheres of Beauty She enshrines my cherished Memories. In true sincerity and affection ,Les and Isabel Williams. Port Elizabeth Thats all Folks. The loverly thing is they are now reunited in Heaven catching up in all those years and what a joy to be free of pain. ****************************************************************************************************** LOOKING BACK NO 3. Continued.... Now to vary my story do come with me to dear old Dorasammys barber shop for a haircut. this salon was situated at the foot of Walmer Road and the haircut cost sixpence ...Now to describe the salon As one entered the door you faced the counter along the back wall. this counter was covered with a wide strip of linoleum on which stood an enamel basin containing hot water,above the counter hung a large mirror fronted by rows of glass shelves.On these shelves stood rows of shaving mugs each complete with its cake of shaving soap and brush stuck into the mouth of the mug. Each mug bore the initials of its customer and for the fussy customer his own cut throat razor lay next to the mug, No creams..orator shave lotions in those days...Also on the counter stood the spike holding small squares of newsprint... These were used by Dora to wipe the razor while shaving...At the end of the counter stood a Beatrice paraffin stove on which was a cast iron kettle.....This gave the hot water for shaving....To entertain waiting customers there was a pile of old News of the World and Police News as newspapers scattered on their own little table... When Dora moved further up Walmer Road he increased his charges for a haircut to one shilling but when we protested, always gave us a discount of sixpence i.e. 50%. Talking of prices I must tell you of the short Grey trousers my mother had made for me by Mr. Narkedien the Tailor...his charge for a pair of shorts was three shillings i.e. Thirty six cents. One must admit that comparisons are impossible but reminisce over those days canbe fun...to go on , stay with me as we enter the days of the Depression,When the Mayor started the Relief Scheme which gave work to the unemployed , antone could join to do navvy work for five shillings per day...Thus were the excavations don for water channels to and from the Power station ...Through this labor Concrete roads were constructed. It was during this time when my father only worked three mornings per week that my mother , who was a milliner , made ladies felt hats adorned with ostrich feathers. Those hats were sold for six to nine shillings each....But we did not starve nor did we miss school. Now take a look at Saturday afternoons when I played league soccer at the old Victoria Park Ground, after the match we would find our way to the old Queens Hotel hiuch had five bars and where we brought our beer for seven pence a bottle. What a day we had in 1925 when the Prince of Wales visited the City...We were given a holiday and just about every body went down to the jetty to get a glimpse of the H.M.S.Repulse the Battle Criuser in which the Prince traveled . For this occasion all the buildings in town were festooned with coloured bunting . This brings me to a typical Guy Fawkes night....it was the practice for Warshipsbased at Simons Town to visit P.E. at this time and on the night we would be entrained by searchlights displayed by such ships as H.M.S. Birmingham...Lowestof... Cardiff...Carlisle...Verbena...Little did I know then that in later years I as an R.N.V.R.Ratingwould serve in Carlisle and Verbena and later in Amphion and Hawkins. Now I am going to take you to Humewood ...the Cities bathing house, one could hire a costume for forpence a day and at the end of the day you would rinse it and put it through the mangle in the bathing house before handing it back . Now to tell you the greatest fortune to befall any boy,...at the age of seven I was befriended by Captain Treharne who had no children of his own and became a second father to me. I shall never forget what that man taught me nor the kindness' he showered upon me ...he was a confirmed Atheist ...Sidney Douglas even after all these years I salute you ...My other friend and mentor was a completely different mould...The Reverend David Thomas Wright of the old Bullen Street Baptist Church in old South End.....What A man ....Truly I shall ever be in his debt ....How lucky I was to have been influenced in my youth by two men of such high principles.. I can think of no better way to end my tale than by telling you of a typical Sunday afternoon as a boy. Capt. and Mrs. Treharne would take me out in his 1921 model Willys Overland tourer car and the three of us would have tea under the trees at the Walmer Cricket ground. Hot water for tea was provided from bottles stored in a wooden box that was insulated with straw...I learned later that this was the forerunner of the Wonder box....When He died this dear old gentleman bequeathed the Overlander Car to me . I questioned the Capt. on his beliefs and here I recite His Creed ...But firstly let me tell you he was a gunsmith by Profession and a member of the S.A. Bisley Team. As a young man in the 1880s he spent much time in the Argentine as a gauche.. I shoot straight I deal straight I would not kill a man unless in a fight I will do a good deed whenever I can After reciting this to me he would say....Live to this and you are a damned good Christian Hoe else to end the tale of my childhood than to say how lucky I am I was blessed with parents for whom no sacrifice was too great I married an angel I have two children of whom I am very proud. The last page is empty except for these words in the middle of the page... LOOKING FORWARD This is the shortest and saddest article I have ever written The complete nothingness of this page symbolizes the WHITE MANS future in SOUTH AFRICA To what therefore I ask, have I to look forward to Thank God I am 86 and not 26. Thats all folks, Les hoped to,write about his later life but soon after this his Dear wife Isabel got sick and He was deverstated as he loved her so much, God was good and she recovered, I think God knew Les would find it so hard without her, He has gone ahead to glory but I for one recieved so much from the two years we corresponded. Anne Wellman

Lindy

Lindy Report 3 May 2004 00:44

Hi Terri, I am sure that there is a part missing but I think that Anne has not been feeling well so I do not want to pressure her. She is a lovely Lady that I met "online" when a number of people were paying tribute to Les Williams who was a well know geneologist and a friend to all of those that he came into contact with. Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of meeting him. Anne's Grandmother was from Port Elizabeth, the city of my birth. I have fond memories of The Donkin. Walking down all of those stairs in the morning and hanging on to my skirt for dear life, as the wind would grab at it and wrap my skirt around my head. At the end of the day I would walk up again.. stopping half way to sit on a bench and catch my breath. What a fantastic view of the harbour and the sea as far as the eye can see. It felt like I was sitting on top of the world. Anne is busy writing the life story of her Grandmother, who was also born in Port Elizabeth. At sometime in the future I hope to get a copy. Regards Lindyxx

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 3 May 2004 10:20

Wonderful wonderful reading Lindy. I shall print out all three copies to keep. It is so descriptive that it makes you feel a part of it. I'm sure I will read it over and over again. Great idea too, I will put it on to the tapes for my friend Peggy. (See Peggy would love to hear from you) thread. Love Norah Can you email me with more information about this gentleman please?

Lindy

Lindy Report 3 May 2004 14:16

Hi Norah, I am sorry but that is all the information that I have on Les Williams. Unless, as I said their might be a part missing or I misunderstood Anne and Les passed away before he could finish. Regards Lindy:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 May 2004 16:05

Thank you Lindzy. I am trying to write a short story just now but cannot get it together. This piece of prose shows me how it should be done. The description of the barbers shop really let me see it, in other words the writer takes you there. Beautiful in its simplicity. Terri xx

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 4 May 2004 17:18

Lindy These have been a great read Thanks Love Jan

Lindy

Lindy Report 4 May 2004 17:24

Hi Jan, I am glad that you all enjoyed it! I shall keep digging away looking for more stories. It is so interesting reading about peoples lives in the early days. I am sure that there are more members out there who have a tale or two even if it is about someone else. Lindy;-)