General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lilac ( Unlucky?)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 3 May 2004 09:59

I have a lovely lilac Tree in my garden and the smell in the evening is glorious. I would like to cut some for indoors but remember my Mum saying it was unlucky to do this. She is no longer here for me to ask WHY?. Has anyone else heard of this Old Wives Tale? . It would be interesting to know. Julia

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 3 May 2004 10:02

never heard that lilac is unlucky heard green is though dont know why just heard it

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 May 2004 10:04

i can remember being told its unlucky and i can't remember why either sandra

Sarah

Sarah Report 3 May 2004 10:05

Hi Julia Yes - My mother and grandmother always refused to have lilac in the house. We also had a lilac tree in the garden and I remember pulling off a piece and bringing it indoors - the reaction was worse than if I'd brought in dog poo! Could never find out why they thought it was unlucky though. Sarah

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 3 May 2004 10:05

hi julia never heard of lilac being unlucky but i am jealous wish i had one in my garden :0) tina xxx

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 3 May 2004 10:07

terri that one i do know red and white should never go together (blood and bandages)never take them 2 together in a hospital nurses normally go mad tinxxx

Janet

Janet Report 3 May 2004 10:13

Yes - my mum wouldn't have Lilac in the house either. The other blooms that weren't allowed in the house were that of the 'May Flower' - the blossom of the Hawthorn. This was known locally as 'Mother Die'. My mum thought it was probably because the flowers drop off almost as soon as they are brought inside, and that mothers didn't want the mess in the house!

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 3 May 2004 10:18

terri the way i found that out was i took my friend some roses and white babys breath into hospital the nurse gave me a right ear bashing! lesson learnt lol tina xxx

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 3 May 2004 10:58

It's funny you should talk about lilac, as it always brings back memories for me... when my Dad died (around this time of year) my Headmistress sent me a huge bunch of lilacs from the tree in the school grounds, and the smell is very evocative (but in a nice way, as I was very touched by the gesture!).

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 May 2004 11:07

i phoned my mum, and all she could remember was her dad going mad saying its bad luck to have it in the house.and throwing it out, by the way my lilac has just bloomed and i love it, but i never bring it indoors. sandra

Crista

Crista Report 3 May 2004 11:11

Julia, If we listened to all the old wives tales and superstitions we'd never be able to live our lives. From what I've gone see, it's only unlucky in Nofolk. So, unless you live there, you're probably okay. If you do pick some, cut some really long stems and remove all the leaves. With a sharp knife, make a one inch slit up the stem and then dip in boiling water before soaking in lots of cool water. This will help them to last longer. Crista

Julia

Julia Report 3 May 2004 13:28

Thaks's everyone, I still don't know why it's unlucky but I'll cut some any way.. Christa. I'll do what you say as I'v not heard that one before. Julia