General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How many of you out there...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 3 May 2004 13:36

Have hubbies/wives or partners who do housework without having to be nagged to do it? My husband is actually very good. He does his fair share of washing, ironing, cooking etc.. without having to be asked. Just wondered in todays modern society how many people share their domestic duties. I know my dad has never lifted a finger to help my mum in 50 years of marriage!!! How bad is that! Tracey

John

John Report 3 May 2004 13:39

I do a fair amount around the house. I enjoy doing the washing and putting it out on the line [it's not hard though is it] - all neat with similar items next to each other and facing the same way!! Vacuuming, dusting etc no probs. My wife always seems to find something I've missed though lol.

Tracey

Tracey Report 3 May 2004 13:41

Hi John, Even i'm not that fussy which order my washing goes out as long as it gets dry!! Which reminds me, my washer has just finished....

Margaret

Margaret Report 3 May 2004 13:42

Have a hubby who cooks dinner if i am working washes up does the ironing he is hopeless at DIY he has also cooked Xmas dinner every year since we have been married but cannot pick his socks up and put them in the washing machine

John

John Report 3 May 2004 13:44

I'm also the one that changes the toilet roll when it is empty, puts the toilet seat down and does the food shopping. I've got a twin sister, so maybe she was educating me in the womb!!

Ann

Ann Report 3 May 2004 14:05

My hubby always cleans our oven and the windows, they are the jobs I hate the most. He also does all the D.I.Y. he says that he wouldn't trust me to do a good job!! That's fine by me, I will happily sit back and watch!!

Tracey

Tracey Report 3 May 2004 14:07

I know what you mean about the socks Margaret! John, You sound even better than my hubby!! Good for you!

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 May 2004 14:37

Ever since we got married 20 years ago, my hubby and I have 'shared' the household chores. I have ME and so that I can work part-time, my hubby still does his fair share but I do have someone in 2 hours a week to clean. Only trouble is, he will do anything if asked, but doesn't take the initiative and notice what needs doing ... and apparently my brother is just the same :))

syljo

syljo Report 3 May 2004 22:13

Being a technical man my husband will do all the repairs, alterations etc. but housework - that's womens work. Mind you, he had 7 sisters to spoil him. Fortunately I have help in the house, plus a very modern flat with diswasher etc.etc. so not so much to do nowadays.

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 3 May 2004 23:11

My husband does nothing I'm afraid. I have nag, beg, plead and cry sometimes to get anywhere. He's only 26 but left home straight from Mum to me. Every few months we have this big conversation where I explain it's not fair on me I work full time too and actually do more hours in the working week than he does. It's get better for a couple of weeks then goes back to normal. I came home from the SoG fair yesterday and tidied up. I left the hoovering for him but it still needs doing! Even after being reminded a few times. Strange thing is his Dad does his fair share and keeps telling him it's a partnership but it seems to go in one ear and out the other. I do love him though ;0)