General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Living on own means

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Abigail

Abigail Report 4 May 2004 10:40

In the 1901, a potential rellie is "living on own means" whilst the man I believe to be her husband and the boy, her son, are AB which I think means "Aboard" ship. Can anybody help with translation? Abigail Thank you to all those who emailed me when they were unable to post on this thread!

Abigail

Abigail Report 6 May 2004 20:40

Thank you to all those who contacted me by email when they could not post on this thread! Abigail

Pumphrey

Pumphrey Report 6 May 2004 22:56

I think living on own means is that she was a lady of substance (had plenty money)? I actually thought it meant "lady of the night" if you get my drift but someone put me right on that. Lol! I haven't a clue about AB i'm afraid. Pam

Angela

Angela Report 6 May 2004 23:01

I've found a number of rellies in the 1901 census who had occupations listed for them but who were also described as living on own means/at home. I have assumed this means they were self employed and so did not need to rely on wages to live as the people concerned were clearly not retired, nor old enough or ill enough to be. In the 1891 census the only reference to living on own means I found for one of my rellies was in relation to a man who in previous censuses had been described as a whitesmith but in the 1891 census had no occupation listed. In this case, I assumed he was in effect retired (probably - as he was in his 60s and died soon after - because of failing health). Angela