General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bad cat, problem!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 7 May 2004 08:31

I know its sounds awful and I sound like a bad owner,but I am on the verge of wringing my cats neck! He has a severe bird killing problem Yesterday there were 4 and one he kindly left in my kitchen last night (luckily I found it as it was covered in flies!) He has had hold of one already this morning and Zorro (bad cat in question) is now grounded the rest of the day. I understand its a natural thing cats do but I never had this problem with my other cat (He did bring in a kingfisher once may be went for quality not quantity?) He is neutered, more than well fed he has 2 bells on his collar.Please has anyone got anymore suggestions. It is upsetting for me and my children and I am seriously thinking of getting rid of him because of this. please help Jan x

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 7 May 2004 08:38

Mine not only brings birds , but mice and toads and frogs When we find him with one we squirt him with the plant water sprayer.He runs off and sulks but he does get the message ....we think....as he stops bringing them to us..not saying he doesn't kill any of them...we just do not have them near the door step on in the house.....he once brought us a rat ..dead thank goodness.... Not a large spray of water but just enough to damp him and let him know he did wrong bringing them into the house...not sure but i think it was a vet that suggested this ....have done same with naughty dogs

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 May 2004 08:52

your cat is bringing you presents to say he/she loves you.!!!!bells on the collar are a good warning system but don't always work sandra

Louise

Louise Report 7 May 2004 08:53

i have 2 cats one likes to bring dead birds / mice in the house the other on well he like to bring mice,birds,frogs,and anything else in the house but they are alive. i dont thing you can really stop them cause as you say that is what cats do ,all i can say is that he loves you so much and cant stop giving you present louise

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 May 2004 09:01

We had a similar problem with a female cat.She would come in to bed in the morning 'singing'(she was part siamese)and leave our present on the bed.The vet suggested that she was jealous of the children and was competing for our attention.We got another cat,a stray,and they got on really well.It stopped the bird/mouse/rat! problem - i think it gave her something else to think about-failing that you could contact your vet who will put you in touch with local Animal Psychologists. Best Wishes Elaine.x

Crista

Crista Report 7 May 2004 09:03

Janet, Keeping him in around dawn and dusk might help. Birds are most active then. http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/cats/index.asp Crista

Jan

Jan Report 8 May 2004 10:48

Hi all thanks for your suggestions I will try the water spray at him. I fear though that it will be the shock not the water that scares him! I caught him playing in the dogs full water bowl (quite literally and managed to catch it on video I was going to send it to you've been framed,but I don't know if its on anymore. Although after thinking about him maybe the psychologists may be a better idea! As another thing he does which is really annoying is scent everything with his feet he is doing it now against the window near his food bowl so as to the put off the other cat even though they have their own bowls.At least the bird population won't dwindle today in Manchester its raining! Thanks for listening everyone Jan x

Lisa

Lisa Report 8 May 2004 15:21

janet,i used to fear coming into work frightened what i would find half eaten in my kitchen.my cat used to bring in frogs because my neighbour had a pond next door,mice ,and numerous birds.he even tryed to attack my neighbours owl but thought better of it.it would have ripped it to bits.the cats only do it and bring them in because they class it as a trophy for it's mother and that is you.we'll never stop the cause of nature because they are preditors.my advice would keep your cat in in the morning and at night.